Deuce

S3 first flight

Our King Air is still in the Airplane Hospital so its' out of the 206. Just four of us on the load, so there's plenty of room to get up into the plane and sit with the tail zipped up. Just put my rear on the doorsill and swung my legs in, and scooted to the second spot behind the pilot.

LouDiamond was generous in his critique and suggestions so my suit was properly rigged. Thanks.

But I've never done a wingsuit exit out of the Cessna. So at 9000' (low ceiling) I swung the tail out and rolled out the door with my body aligned down the line of flight. And immediately went into a violent tumble/spin. The earth/sky transitions were so fast I can't tell you which way I was moving. So I tried bringing my arms in and arching. Nothing. Hands on my ass, legs on my ass. Nothing. I'm thinking "OK, I'll toss at one of the less violent points in the tumble, the canopy will be shit but I'll get stood up, and then I'll chop to my reserve once I'm vertical" But I still have altitude and I try opening up the suit, and VROOM! out of an inverted barrel-roll and into some serious forward flight. Did a complete circuit of the perimeter downwind and base legs and threw in two practice touches.

Closing the suit down is like jumping into an elevator shaft. And it is very fast, much faster than the GTi felt, and once it gets going, way the hell more stable. On the borrowed GTi, there was a potato-chipping feeling on all axis if body position wasn't just right, and I didn't get any of that with my S3.

At 4500 I did my wave-off and deployed stable. There is just a ton of forward speed on that thing and I spun up my Spectre 3 times lickety-split. The canopy was straight and level, but I'm wearing this restrictive pair of pants and I'm trying to figure out how to kick out without being able to kick. Got my arms free zip-sip and just spreading the risers and doing a hula-hoop kind of thing got it fixed, plenty of altitude. Legs zip-zip-snap-snap and land.

Average speed was 80, second average speed, where I was flying the suit was 74, vertical (pro-track)

So, my impression was that the S3 was a lot more suit than the GTi. I like the tail much more, but I can tell I have work to do on my wings posture. Yes, it takes muscle to keep it in that "quiet place".

Very fun, but I'd appreciate some feedback on Cessna exits, particularly anybody who is jumping out of a 182 or 206 with the forward door.

TIA, BirdFolks,

JP

So, my impression was that the S3 was a lot more suit than the GTi.
***Ya think?:ph34r:

some feedback on Cessna exits, particularly anybody who is jumping out of a 182 or 206 with the forward door.

look here
Some coaching from a BMI also may help too?
Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Yes, Ed, coaching will help. Thanks for the link. If I can get up to Lodi in the next couple of weeks, I'll see if I can hook up with you.

Cool. Looking forward to it.
PM me and we'll talk about coaching and when you'll be there.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

And immediately went into a violent tumble/spin. The earth/sky transitions were so fast I can't tell you which way I was moving.....and VROOM! out of an inverted barrel-roll and into some serious forward flight. Did a complete circuit of the perimeter downwind and base legs and threw in two practice touches.

Nice to hear you scored so high in the freestyle Birdman manuevers;) However, you will find that level flying is the prefered technique among most Birdmen:D It sounds like you had an interesting ride to say the least. The bright side of it all is that you now know what you can get yourself into and how to handle it. Don't think that it's just you, I went up with a buddy in his new SF3 today and he had a few issues, although not as intense as yours. Glad to hear you found your wings and were able to enjoy the flight some. Keep at it and get some help from Ed if you get the opportunity. You can rest assured I will help you all you need out in Eloy. BTW, took the 300D up on the RAWA today and snapped off some pictures. Now I just need to get it dialed in and we will be set for the Eloy boogie footage;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING