SkymonkeyONE

BM-I course this weekend at DeLand

Yes, plenty. One from Finland, one from Sweden, at least one from Canada, one from Hollister, CA, two from Z-hills, and one Austrian currently living in Spain who is really looking for an American skydiver girl. The real info ought to be out on the BirdMan website this week.

The course was great fun to run. Me, Scott, and Asaf taught the course (our BMCI evaluation; we are "official" now) and Jari and Kim Griffin were there for oversight and evaluation purposes, plus the intro. I think the course ran fine, even though this was a nearly total revamp of the program.

Chuck

More details, please.

Jari is working on a small write up for the web site about the course and I will be working on an article for publication later on as time permits. Overall, it was a combined effort(Kim, Jari ,Asaf, Chuck, Myself) to refine what was already in place and ensure that there is a uniformity in the method of teaching. The course offers a lot of valuable information in a short period of time and focuses on the actual teaching aspects(ground and air skills). Anyone familiar with any type of instructor course, be it AFF or otherwise will have a good idea of what is expected and the methods of instruction. Having a solid grasp on professionally instructing other people is a plus. Once we sat down and decided what direction we were all going in, Chuck, myself and Jari set out with creating the new course materials and evaluation criteria. Overall, I think those who were in attendance will agree that it was 2 intense days of information and challenging as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was one of the participants at the BMI course, and really have nothing but GREAT things to say about the course. The instructors - Jari, Scott, Chuck, Asaf & Kim were very professional and thorough in their teaching methods. I learned a large amount of info over the weekend, including many tips and techniques (thank you Chuck for the getting out of the booties tip!). As with any instructor rating, all of us that left with BMI ratings will continue to learn new things when actually jumping with our students. I definitely feel much stronger and more confident in teaching someone about Birdman suits and how to properly and responsibly fly them.
Overall, I thought that the course went very well - professional, informing, and of course, a hell of a lot of fun!! B|
"... how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!"

At my age it's harder to bend that way

then Chuck's simultaneous bootie removal technique is probably not going to work for you.;) Then again, it might. Can you bend both your legs up at the same time and grab the zippers?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Okay Chuck, what's the tip?
The biggest trouble I have is getting the darn booties off. At my age it's harder to bend that way....

Blues,

J.E.

I came up with my technique because it keeps my sub-100 main flying straight during the unsnapping and unzipping process. Simply put, I draw BOTH feet up under my butt and reach down with both hands to grab and unsnap the leg snaps simultaneously. While my hands are down there, I next grab both zipper slides then extend both feet back out simultaneously, thus unzipping the suit. I next stick both knees outward towards the sides while pulling both feet, again, back under my butt so that I can grab both toe loops with my hands in order to pull both booties off simultaneously. Some people with looser fitting suits can simply kick their booties off; I can't, so I have to reach down somehow and get them off without spiralling my canopy.

Hope that helps,

Chuck

Damn, that sounds so simple. I had to use one foot to kick off the opposite bootie, etc. to keep my main flying straight. Next time i'll try your method.:D

And just think, you too could learn stuff like that and other nice to know stuff about flying a Birdman suit when you attend the BMI course. I shit you not, the wealth of information that is passed to the candidates at these courses is like drinking from a firehose.;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING