ScratchTX

Question for other pull-out jumpers

How do you deploy your pull-out?

-- Just like a throw out: grab, pull, toss
-- grab, pull, place in airstream (where? by head? shoulder?) and it gets pulled out of your hand
-- grab, pull down, raise extended arm up and turn hand over as if hanging PC on a hook by your head, oriented to catch air
-- do you change your body position to slightly head high? Or de-arch/cup air?

I'm asking because I used to just grab, pull and toss with no problem. But after getting a few disturbing PC hesitations I started trying all these other ways... talked to a few other pull-out users and my rig manufacturer and realized there is quite a variation in how people do it. I'm still experimenting with the best way to eliminate the PC falling back into my burble -- it still happens more than I'd like. I'm thinking of going back to the "just toss it" approach.

(Not interested in discussing merits of pull-out vs. throw out here, just looking to hear from other pull-out users. Thanks)

--Scratch

i personally get a little head high, reach bag, grap, and pull down in a "U" back up by my head i guess. it gets pulled out of my hand about mid way through or so.

everyone once in a while, i'll let it go too early, and get some hesitation, but if that happens, i drop my knees a bit, and it comes right off.

another benfit of getting head high (the first helping get the pilot chute off my back if it comes back down) is you have a little less snatch force i guess you would say, less opening shock.

later

-- grab, pull, place in airstream (where? by head? shoulder?) and it gets pulled out of your hand

That's how I do it. I try for a full arm extension straight out to the side, though I don't think I've ever gotten it out that far before having it yanked out of my hand. I've dropped a PUD a couple times (cleared by reaching back and giving another pull), but I can't say I've ever had a hesitation even though I have a very short bridle (53").

Bob

How do you deploy your pull-out?

-- Just like a throw out: grab, pull, toss

Usually works, but this technique can result in a reserve ride. When the pud is released before the PC is inflated, the PC might return into the burble behind the back (specially if for some reason the PC interferes with the bridle). Since the container is open, the deployment bag will happily get out (at least partly), most probably assymetrically because you will be moving your body to have the PC clear the burble. At best, you'll get line twists.

I just fully extend the arm away from the body, and the PC is in the airstream. I wait to feel the PC getting pulled out of my hand, but I don't hold the pud too firmly, so my hand is not actually pulled upwards.
--
Come
Skydive Asia

thanks, all, for the replies!

I'll keep experimenting to find the best method for me. I'm thinking that my early "pull and toss" approach worked because I got it further from my body. With short arms, if I hold my arm at the wrong angle, the PC doesn't get pulled out of my hand. I think I've gotten lazy -- as the aggressive throw-out training from student days faded, I've maybe stopped extending my arm hard, all the way, all the time. I seem to get the best clean air for the PC on jumps where I'm kind of amped about something else (something new) -- making me think that lazy arm is the culprit.

I think crazy has got it right. Pull into the airstream, wind gets it, takes it outta your hand....

I don't believe I've ever had the opportunity to "Throw" it, since when I pull (loose grip, but firm)and it clears my hip, wind inflates pilot, yanks from my grip and it opens...

I believe that these details, are the big ones though. Very worth in depth discussion, considering if you view the malfunctions/first reserve rides threads, there are quite a few jumpers with 2000 plus jumps and one or less reserve rides.

Realizing that it may not be realistic to believe that everyone can be that lucky (I really don't believe it is luch though), we can extremely minimize our tendancy to malfunction with good position stability, and a good deployment

ok, afer reading that, it all sounds too obvious, LOL

apologies for runnin the mouth.

pull it into the airstream, let go when it's inflatin...

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...