gus

Flyby

Tried a couple of flybys over the weekend.

First attempt: canopy dude exited (13k), I gave him 15 seconds headstart then exited (just as he was deploying at 10k). He flew his canopy along the line of flight, the plan was for me to overtake him on his left hand side. In the end I didn't have enough altitude to do the U-turn required to do a 180 and approach from behind but I was too high to approach on the same level from in front. So I collapsed my wings to drop down, opened them back up and flew past. The video was rubbish, partly because I wasn't very close and partly because I wasn't really flying very well.

Second attempt: canopy dude exited (13.5), I gave him a slightly longer delay (closer to 20 seconds) before exiting. He opened at about 9.5k, faced the plane then did a 90 degree turn to the right. I did a 90 degree turn to the right immediately after exiting, spotted his canopy pretty quickly, had to fly a little dirty to get down to him but managed to get pretty close. Sweet jump! I opened at about 8k and we bumped endcells all the way down. :)
Edited to add: DivX vid

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I've found that you lose a lot of altitude in quick turns while doing canopy/WS RW. The best technique we've found is as follows:

1. Leave the plane shortly after the canopy pilot (no more than five seconds).
2. Both of you should track off the line of flight 90°. The wingsuit pilot should track very "knees down", or do S-turns to not out-track the canopy pilot too much.
3. The canopy pilot should open within about 1500 - 2000 feet of exit altitude.
4. The canopy pilot should start flying back down the line of flight, and the WS flyer should follow him/her.
5. Sink the WS down and forwards towards the canopy. The angle of descent shouldn't be too steep.
6. As you approach the canopy pilot from behind and slightly to the side, plane out to match the fall rate and slide over to move close to the canopy pilot. Fly a solid A-frame for lift and bend/drop your knees just enough to keep from outdriving the canopy. You should be able to fly together pretty dang well for quite a bit of time, so long as the canopy is pretty loaded.

Great pics by the way. Very fun stuff.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

not very :) i haven't done it or seen it in person, but i think all the accounts i read were sub 100 canopies loaded highly and Skyflyer 1 or 3 wingsuits with highly experienced pilots on both sides

btw nice video.. what did you use to process it?

under a Stiletto 150 (loaded at about 1.5) and that I'm flying a GTi

Those will work very well....

Shit my favorite canopy to fly with is anyone doing a Tandem. Use their canopy speed... you can still talk to each other. Canopy/Bird-Man rw is great any way you look at it!

Chris