gus

Rendering GPS data

One of the projects I'm on at work has very kindly lent me a gps logger to 'evauluate' whilst flying birdman. It's literally a black box that logs your position etc onto an mmc card, no little screen, mapping software.

So once I've figured out the format of the data on the card (:S) I'll want to somehow plot it. I was thinking that VRML might work quite well since it's easy to create and there are a handful of free viewers out there.

I've looked at GPS Drawing that Craig's brought up before but it doesn't look like their app is publically available.

What are other people doing? Any good ideas?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I'm a total loser when it comes to programing or GPS, but here's my 10 cents.

I use 3dsmax quite a lot. It's a commercialy available 3D program. You could write a MAX SCRIPT that would take numeric data, and transform it to points in 3D space (with a spline/path on top of the lines)

From 3dsmax you could export it to anytning from vrml to dfx (autocad) or cool rendered animations (in 3dsmax itself)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Without knowing what your system is using one can only guess what may or may not work. I can tell you what has worked for me and that is using a GArmin GPS V with software by garmin and by MS streets and trips. I posted a thread in this forum awhile back and there are a few screen captures of what the tracks looked like and so on. If your unit is capable of being downloaded I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if the Garmin or other software out there will recognize it and give you a read out. Best of luck and let us know what kind of data you were able to collect.

FYI: http://www.gpsworld.com
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

ESRI's MapObjects has a beautiful example of capturing realitme GPS data...

Messed with it and got it working myself...

You have a link to the software or where to get it at?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sorry - I'm a typical programmer - bait the student into searching for knowledge on their own...

;)

But seriously, I just got done completing a pretty large project for Rocky Flats Arsenal and if you (or anyone) has any questions regarding MO lemme know, I'd be more than happy to help you out...

"So once I've figured out the format of the data on the card () I'll want to somehow plot it."

How do you interface with the little black box now? Serial port?? I'm just thinking if it's currently interfaceable in some sort of way, thinking thinking thinking........

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

How do you interface with the little black box now? Serial port??

The gps unit stores its data in a file on an mmc card which then comes out and goes into a usb reader attached to my computer.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I'll have to poke around on that one. The only live data I've ever read was through a serial port long long ago using C (and I haven't used my C skills in like five years). In MO though, they provide you with a good hefty set of built in objects to read GPS connections straight thru the serial port if I remember correctly. Here is a link to their examples page:

http://www.esri.com/devsupport/devconn/mapobjects/samples/index.html#loc1

Its like the 10th one down.

In order to read in data from that MMC card reader, one would have to lookup the data formatting table for the device and then read up on how to correctly read data streams...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Let me remind everyone of the original question: how to render GPS data. :)rendering it that I was interested in and how other people were doing it, eg importing into 3D Studio Max.

Would you please post or send me a sample. Sounds like a job for regular expressions,

I can't really post any samples because it's not my format and not mine to share. Much as I like regular expressions it's more a case of deciding what byte the date is stored in, what byte the latitude is stored in etc.

I still think VRML (virtual reality modelling/markup language) would work quite nicely and it would make it easy to share online.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I made 2 jumps with the gps unit over the weekend and have plotted the latitude and longitude ie top down view.

The original files are in svg (Adobe plugin here) but I've attached gifs too. The red line is the wingsuit part, the blue line is under canopy.

ProTrack data for #476:
Exit: 12200
Deploy: 3300
105 secs
55 mph

ProTrack data for #477:
Exit: 12500
Deploy: 3200
116 secs
52 mph

I have 82 seconds of gps data for #466 (vs 105 seconds of freefall) and 111 seconds for #467 (vs 116 seconds of freefall). I was losing signal as soon as I got in the plane but it looks like it's capable of re-aquiring fairly quickly.

For #476 I travelled 1891m across the ground in freefall and 1955m under canopy. That's an average groundspeed of 18m/s (65 kph) and 13m/s (49 kph).
FOr #477 I travelled 2504m and 1703m, averaging 22m/s (78 kph) and 13m/s (46 kph).

I will keep trying to extract the elevation data (or combine with ProTrack data) so I can plot these in 3d.

Gus

OutpatientsOnline.com

477.svg.gif

0477.svg

0476.svg

476.svg.gif