kevin922

Cross-Post: Birdman Heli

Cool Video.

This is the same helicopter that we jumped at the Key's Boogie in November and yesterday in Georgia (ASC-Cedartown). Like most helicopters the downward thrust from the blades really effects wingsuit exits.

While it is fun to wing it from a heli, what do you guys think of using a heli exit to practice BASE flights? I've heard pros and cons but think any experience gained from the lack of forward flight is offset from the blade thrust.

...do you guys think of using a heli exit to practice BASE flights?

Why not just use an elevator?

I've never jumped a helicopter, but in my (limited) experience, the best way to approximate a BASE flight is just to find the safest object you can, and use that. A terminal tower witha good tailwind should give you plenty of safety margin, and lots of time to practice the exit and get into full flight.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Next time i'll have to try more like a base exit with the legs bent I think.

It's hard not to chase after someone going lower than you on exit. ;) That'd the coolest fucking ride. What altitude were you at? 6 or 5ish? That's awesome.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

A terminal tower would be great but our local 2000' is pretty heavily watch... not that this is stopping me from trying;)

I was interested in finding some object/device from which you could practice a wingsuit exit in subterminal air without wires beside you or an object behind you.

Next time i'll have to try more like a base exit with the legs bent I think.

It's hard not to chase after someone going lower than you on exit. ;) That'd the coolest fucking ride. What altitude were you at? 6 or 5ish? That's awesome.

5'100 or 5'200

Found this picture from when I did a BirdMan jump with my GTi from a Bell Jet Ranger (12th of May last year, jump number 667, damn, that would have been a cool jump number 666)

Oh cool you have different colored ribs too.. i didn't think many people did that.