leroydb

flat spin at eloy

um help... did a bird-rodeo from a king air. went out at a 45 angle towards the rear with the passenger holding the yoke. went into a very very fast flat spin.. have it on video from my cam... I eventually got stable after the passenger got fully on my back... (not hanging on by the yoke...)
Le Roy
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I haev done sucessful rodeo's out of an otter. squat close to the near edge with the passeneger behind. have them hold the yoke and prepair for at least one barrell roll.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

LEROY!! Sorry we couldn't get a flight in at Eloy, things were always hectic. I remember you talking about the spin after your jump...when I did my first rodeo, my passenger and I were quite unstable for a good 5 seconds. I think it's all about where they're hanging on. That first one was out of a King Air, and with the narrow door, it's very hard to get lined up towards the relative wind. Maybe the best thing for a side exit is to do a front loop out of the plane before spreading clean wings. During this time, the passenger can adjust their position slightly. Don't know, however, cuz haven't tried it personally...maybe this weekend.

I ended up doing a 2-way rodeo with Mark (not a DZ.comer), Jill as his passenger, Christina (cmnorris) as my passenger, and Christian (DZ.comer) doing video, out of the Skyvan and it ROCKED. Felt a little unstable during turns, but overal very stable since we backed out of the van, into the wind. Christian was unable to keep up with us, finally say him filming from way below while tracking on his back. My Pro-Track read the avg speed as 107 mph. Let me know how the next rodeo goes.

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Ohhh kaaay . . .

Ya might wanna try one or two with your partner without the Bird-Man suit first. Believe it or not, they can be quite a bit of a challenge for a few jumps before you get things figured out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Check what Quade said in his post and I will add this: The person being riden can get in a squat in the door facing foward and put one hand on either side of the foward door frame (think the "praying" AFF style exit from a side door.) The rider should get behind and hold on to the sides of the rig near the yoke. The rider should stay flat on exit (i.e. NOT sit up) untill the birdman has got a controled flight established.

added.... I don't recomend the 45 degree exit. try to launch sideways so you end up poised into the wind facing line of flight. After you're stable make the turns....

What could posibly go wrong?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm no BM-I, but this has worked for me, and is the result of planning, experience, de-briefing, and considering all that could go wrong. From the Otter, and maybe any high-wing/side-door:

The passenger gets on the camera step, so they are completely out of the plane, entire body facing the nose and not the fuselage, holding the bar or handle with their right hand. If there's no step, they should take very rear float, get all the way out of the plane, save the right foot and the right hand on the bar. The skyflyer starts from just inside the door, also facing completely forward towards the nose, within reach of the passenger. The passenger grabs the left riser with his/her left hand, and shakes the skyflyer when ready.

The skyflyer should queue with their head (of course). Timing and relaxation are the critical elements. Simultaneously, the skyflyer should do the tiniest sideways hop out the door, and the passenger should let go of the bar/handle and grab the right riser with his/her right hand. This basically puts the skyflyer directly in front of the passenger so that all that s/he needs to is move his/her right arm from the handle to the skyflyer without moving his/her body.

Fly towards the nose at first. Trying to fly in any direction but into the wind at first may cause a spin, and will almost definitely cause a roll or instability. The skyflyer should start with all wings closed, and the passenger should lightly put their legs outside of the skyflyer's ASAP, without keeping the skyflyer's legs closed. If the passenger has done a sit train exit before, they should basically do the same thing, but from behind (keep the legs light and outside of the person infront of them, and they will just fall into place naturally on exit). Only, the passenger should not be sitting, but flying more or less belly-to-earth. Then, smoothly open the arm wings before the tail is entirely open. Chances are, the jump will start to dive on exit. Opening the wings ahead of the tail will level the flight out. As soon as the flight starts to level, smoothly finishing opening the tail.

The turn away from the line of flight and away you go. This is where the passenger should attempt to "sit" on the skyflyer, though the forward movement can make it difficult. The fall rate is much faster and the glide is much less with a passenger, so you may need to actually watch the spot. The passenger also really limits the skyflyer's control range, and has quite a bit of their own. On top of everything else, the passenger's pulling on the risers raises the skyflyer's shoulders, making it difficult to d-arch and easy to flat spin. The skyflyer should stay relaxed. Try to cut the fall rate by d-arching, but relax the SECOND the wobbles start. The wobble-to-spin lapse is compressed with a passenger as compared to without. There should be a flight plan, and both parties should know it and participate in carrying it out.

Know the dismount altitude before the jump. A big "no" head shake at any time is a good (and stable) way of signaling that it's time to go. The skyflyer's fall rate will be reduced and glide will be increased dramatically the MOMENT the passenger dismounts. The passenger should roll to the side with a hearty push upon dismounting if s/he doesn't want the skyflyer's foot or tail in their face. The skyflyer should also smoothly cut back to half-flight from the time s/he signals to the time the passenger is off and visible, so as to maintain stability while reducing the severity of the cork.

From this point, the skyflyer should swoop tandems. ;)

The main key throughout this, and all skydiving: RELAX!!!
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click