kevin922

Bail out O2 & High Alti Jumps

Was talking with some people about high alit jumps. Does anyone know FOR SURE do you need bailout O2 for jumps around 23K feet ? (when using a BIRDMAN suit). I know you don't need it for normal jumps, however I'd love to do a high alti birdman.. if bailout is needed want to start researching designs and placement.

Kevin

Go HERE and HERE and read EVERYTHING.

At the very least it's -required by the FARs- that you have O2 available (doesn't mean you have to use it) for any jumps above 15,000 MSL.

The folks at Davis make jumps from 24,000 MSL by pre-breathing pure O2 for 1/2 hour before the jump and do NOT use a bail-out O2 system. For jumps at 30,000 MSL yes, but for 24,000 MSL no.

Since the Bird-Man jump will leave you at high altitudes for a longer period of time than normal freefall, you may want to consider it anyway though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

i have jumped my skyflyer from 21,000 without a bail out.

i also have never smoked cig in my life. i have seen some of my smoker friends feel the effects of short hops at altitude where i have not...?

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I will give you two different personal views:

If you have a high tollerance for alcohol and have undergone phisiological training at an approved high altitude test chamber to get a feel for your limits, then I wouldn't hesitate to go from 23 without bail-out bottles. This, assuming you pre-breathed for the requisite 30 minutes for a jump above 18k and were on supplimental oxygen for the duration of the flight. If you are an "efficient" wingsuit flyer, then a jump from 23k will give you at least as much exposure to fairly high altitude as an MFF jump from 32 grand, so you had better pre-breath.

For Jari's aborted freefall time record attempt at the last boogie in Quincy, I brought him my Gentex, 02 mask, and a complete set of twin 53's. We were to go to about 33 grand for that one, so I was to be his o2 tech for the flight. We rigged the bottles under his rig, suspended from the diagonals; the hose run through the wing, across the chest and out the main zipper. It was great. Too bad we didn't get to do the jump.

Chuck