TomAiello

Wingsuit BASE Transplant Thread

I'm responding to a post from the incidents forum. It seemed to be getting off topic there, so let's see if we can move the discussion here...

Typical wingsuit flights are around 8 seconds to impact

I don't quite understand this part. Could you possibly explain/elaborate a bit further please?

In general, a rock drop done from a wingsuit exit point will impact (straight down) in around 8-10 seconds. However, since the suit begins flying before then, the flight can be significantly longer. For example, rock drop impact is at approximately 8 seconds on the Cold Steel exit, but the total flight altitude is 2500 feet, since there is approximately 1700 feet of slab that can be outflown with a wingsuit. On one well known big wall, rock drop impact is at 14 seconds, but wingsuit flight can exceed 60 seconds, due to 3500 feet of slab and talus below the vertical wall.

BTW do they issue wingsuit BASE numbers?

Nope. Very few people have taken wingsuits off bridges or buildings, since the benefits are quite limited (most of those objects aren't really high enough to fly much, so it would really just be a stunt jump, rather than a flight.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm responding to a post from the incidents forum. It seemed to be getting off topic there, so let's see if we can move the discussion here...

Typical wingsuit flights are around 8 seconds to impact

I don't quite understand this part. Could you possibly explain/elaborate a bit further please?

In general, a rock drop done from a wingsuit exit point will impact (straight down) in around 8-10 seconds. However, since the suit begins flying before then, the flight can be significantly longer. For example, rock drop impact is at approximately 8 seconds on the Cold Steel exit, but the total flight altitude is 2500 feet, since there is approximately 1700 feet of slab that can be outflown with a wingsuit. On one well known big wall, rock drop impact is at 14 seconds, but wingsuit flight can exceed 60 seconds, due to 3500 feet of slab and talus below the vertical wall.

BTW do they issue wingsuit BASE numbers?

Nope. Very few people have taken wingsuits off bridges or buildings, since the benefits are quite limited (most of those objects aren't really high enough to fly much, so it would really just be a stunt jump, rather than a flight.

How about wingsuit "E" numbers ? :D

the benifit of taking a wingsuit off a brigde is to gain confidence with exits for a wall jump. fliping head down or worse back sliding off a wall is not good.

Agreed. Still, the altitude of most bridges would seem to indicate that a good, tall, wind-through tower with a stiff tailwind at opening would be a better choice for a first fixed object wingsuit flight.

As with every fixed object jump, it totally depends on the specifics of your particular object.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hate to disagree with you Dan but I'm not so sure.

Anyone considering taking a wingsuit off a big wall ought to have the experience that back-sliding won't be an issue, especially with not being able to get hands forward, and not to mention a large wing between your leg, which when even being slightly utilised, should prevent any backslide. Most big walls that are popular with wingsuit jumps have very large vertical drops big enough that, should you go head low, allow you to pick up speed and fly out of it. My biggest worry was I'd be so unstable that I'd be facing the wall by the time I recovered!

In contrast, one of the biggest issues with wingsuit jumping is deployment, especially with a larger wing such as the GTi or Skyflyer, deploying from BOC. I wouldn't want to be rushing a wingsuit deployment of a low(-er) bridge (remember your first stowed jump?) even at low airspeeds. Again, if you are considering wingsuit BASE you should have the experience so that wingsuit deployment isn't a concern, but combining risk factors such a BASE with wingsuit certainly can play one's mind!

Guess what I'm saying is I believe the low altitude is a bigger risk to wingsuit BASE (due to deployment issues) than big solid walls. The benefit of the wingsuit is the distance that can be gained and should be achieved from the start!

But I guess big wall access is more difficult for some so prep on what you can get is good.

hi cpoxon,

i see your point.

i have yet to base my wingsuit, as i have a couple hundred wingsuit deployments but no zero wind exits, i am more concerned about the exit.

probably balloon jumps are the best practice before attempting a wall...

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

I have had one very very scary Bird-B.A.S.E. exit . I've done about 5 Bird-B.A.S.E. jumps from 2-3,000 foot cliffs. I was getting a little to confident, and aggressive with attempting to get the maximum subterminal flight in the first 2 seconds. I exited with my arm wings fully inflated, and my tail wing mostly closed. I also launched out very hard and very head high. I instantly was almost in a sit position. A second into the flight, my tail wing caught wind from below and flipped me over, now on my back for an instant, backtracking towards the wall. I barrrel rolled over and turned away from the wall, and flew for my life, barely missing an outcroping. I was very shaken(and stirred), and landed next to a river. My canopy touched down in the water, and yanked me in. A definate no-no in a wingsuit. I fought with it for 5 minutes , but had to cut away the canopy, as I was losing the battle.>:(
I recovered my canopy, and we built a fire to dry out. Unfortunately My GPS got soaked. I'm lucky to have not been injured or worse on this jump. I'm lucky to have had 2000+ feet of altitude as well.
Lessons Learned:
1. Going head low is A good thing on exit with a wingsuit.
2. Always..... always keep flying your canopy, and you head after a shaky experience.
3. Little mistakes are quite amplified on "Specialty" jumps.

Plummet Safely,
Jay Epstein
www.adrenalineexploits.com
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com