Macaulay

Total blowout

The clouds cleared up enough to get to full altitude today, so I get in my GTi and get on the load. More clouds came in and turned the load into a hop and pop at 3,000.

I'm not comfortable at stowing everything after deploying in a timely manner yet, so I thought I'd just unzip and tuck everything in, go out last, and pitch right out the door. I mean if I was ever unstable and I cut away all my wings, I could get stable again right? So that's basically how I treated it. Bad idea.

I held the hackey on the way out and faced the wind... something I've done plenty of times before. Just as I pitched, my left wing and tail wing unrolled and partially inflated, causing a steep half-barrel roll. I felt myself turning over and threw my right arm out to stop the spin, which worked, except that the right riser went under my right arm. I looked up, everything in tow... chop, reserve.

Moral of the story. Don't be a dumbass.

- Mac

So, uh... any tips for wingsuit hop and pops? At Skydive Oregon, this situation isn't uncommon in the winter, the sky clears up, we go up, and then it closes.

I came up with two resolutions for myself, at least at this state of my skyflying (about 20 flights).

A) Never leave the plane with my wings stowed. ;)
B) Don't get out under 4,000'.
C) Around 4,000' feet... exit chest into the wind, fly for a moment, then deploy as usual.
D) Hop and pop well above 4,000', just fly it down to 3,500' - 4,000'.

And, as always, I go out last. Does this sound like a good plan of attack? Keep in mind, I will never get in the plane with a wingsuit on knowing that I will be doing a hop and pop. If I'm anticipating such, I'll go ahead and unhook.

BTW, ordered a new Wings yesterday. Stoked.

- Mac

>Does this sound like a good plan of attack?
>
>A) Never leave the plane with my wings stowed. ;)

Hey! That's a good idea!;)

>B) Don't get out under 4,000'.:o

Have you considered the possibility of an emergency exit? Getting out of a burning plane perhaps? 600m (~2000ft) will be quite enough for exiting and pulling your main... You don't want to crash and burn in a plane just because you're wearing a wingsuit now do you?

I'd prepare for a situation where I have to get out NOW. My plan is to cutaway my wings and exit with leg-wing closed. Should be almost like any clear-and-pull. Expect for the armwings flapping in my face and not being able to open my legs.

>C) Around 4,000' feet... exit chest into the wind, fly for a moment,
>then deploy as usual.
>D) Hop and pop well above 4,000', just fly it down to 3,500' - 4,000'.

Nothing to comment here.

Erno

Have you considered the possibility of an emergency exit? Getting out of a burning plane perhaps? 600m (~2000ft) will be quite enough for exiting and pulling your main... You don't want to crash and burn in a plane just because you're wearing a wingsuit now do you?

I'd prepare for a situation where I have to get out NOW. My plan is to cutaway my wings and exit with leg-wing closed. Should be almost like any clear-and-pull. Expect for the armwings flapping in my face and not being able to open my legs.

Just out of curiousity, if you have LQRS why would you not chop your legs as well? Or was this scenerio taking into consideration you don't have LQRS

Actually, I'd cut the wings AFTER deployment. The main reason I left with the wings "cut" was because I believed that I A) wouldn't have much time after deployment and B) would be more stable, per recommendation to chop the wings upon instability in freefall. I found that I was MUCH more unstable without my wings in place.

In an emergency situation, I feel I'd fare better with everything in place. Then I'll chop the wings under canopy if needed.

- Mac

>Actually, I'd cut the wings AFTER deployment. The main reason I left with
>the wings "cut"

I wonder if there is difference between having your zippers open and having your wings really cut? Chuck, any ideas?

> was because I believed that I A) wouldn't have much time after deployment
>and B) would be more stable, per recommendation to chop the wings upon
>instability in freefall.

I've cut my wings away once, and after I remembered to close the legwing:$, I felt no instability whatsoever. It was just like normal freefall.

> I found that I was MUCH more unstable without my wings in place.

Trying to say "With half my wings tucked away and the other half uncontrollably inflated with zipper open?";)

>In an emergency situation, I feel I'd fare better with everything in
>place. Then I'll chop the wings under canopy if needed.

No problem with that of course if you really have the exit nailed, so that you're ready to deploy immediately out the door, every time. I'm still going to cutaway my wings if I have to exit below 1000m.

Erno

A) I wonder if there is difference between having your zippers open and having your wings really cut? Chuck, any ideas?

B) No problem with that of course if you really have the exit nailed, so that you're ready to deploy immediately out the door, every time. I'm still going to cutaway my wings if I have to exit below 1000m.

A) Actually, there probably is a big difference, being that with wings cut, and not unzipped, air is still deflecting off of, rather than entering the suit.

B) I definitely feel very comfy with my exit. So, for me, I feel that I would want to go "uncut". Uh... that sounds weird.

- Mac

I wonder if there is difference between having your zippers open and having your wings really cut? Chuck, any ideas?

I wonder if with both of the legs out unzipped or cut could allow the leg wing to pass between your legs in freefall and cover up the bottom of your container. Or even blow over your front and cover up your handles? Might test that out (with different suits) next time the opportunity arises!

I've only seen a couple of suits with the LQRS, but didn't have the opportunity to examine the system in greater detail. I know the cutaway handle was on the right, so I'd imagine the wing detaches from the right leg only.(assuming here..) This way it would be flapping on the left leg, away from all handles.

Somebody who has actual knowledge on this, please post some facts to this thread...

Erno

I have the LQRS on my Skyflyer. Firstly, it doesn't cut away the wing as such (i.e. on the inside of the leg) but releases a seam on the outside of the leg, adjacent to the zip which allows your leg out just like the zip, with the wing still connected to the leg of the suit. My LQRS is on the left leg but this may be because I have a Jack knife pockect on the right leg which has a loop near where the leg release would be and I also have the BASE PC pocket so the right side is "busy".

If a leg is still "in" then this gives tension on one side of the wing and could cause unevenness if the wing inflates. If both feet are out for a low exit the wing is less likely to inflate and not have such adverse effects if it does? Although, as I speculated, it may cover the front or back if not stuffed somewhere?

>If a leg is still "in" then this gives tension on one side of the wing and
>could cause unevenness if the wing inflates.

As instability during flight is corrected by cutting away the arm wings, there actually is no situation where a jumper should be in freefall with his legwing cut away(!). I understand this option(LQRS) was developed mainly for basejumpers who don't have the time under canopy to open the leg zippers.

>If both feet are out for a low exit the wing is less likely to inflate and not
>have such adverse effects if it does? Although, as I speculated, it may
>cover the front or back if not stuffed somewhere?

Yes, I can see that happening.

So, since we have concluded that it's
-a bad idea to exit with the LQRS pulled
-a bad idea to exit with both legzippers open

...it must be the best idea to exit with leg wing intact, with legs closed? Any objections?

Erno

Yo !

If you have any basic experience with a wingsuit (i.e. can exit stable, an equivalent of a static line student clear-and-pull proficiency), an emergency exit fully geared and zipped up is a way to go. Your fall rate is less then half of a no-suit jumper - you will actually climb up above the plane on a high-speed exit. Further on, your canopy deployment consumes less altitude if you pull in full flight.

Many wingsuit fliers (including myself) don't zip up the suit until close to the regular jump altitude. In case of a bail-out emergency there will be no time to put the suit on. If a bail-out is necessary, going out with everything unzipped is really no different from a CRW-style clear-and-pull. If you are concerned about your leg wing loose material you can tuck it in your crotch, snap it in quickly (if your suit have the snaps) or simply hold it with your left hand untill you pull.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Generally, I zip into my legs, feet in the booties, as soon as I get seated if the airplane is full. If it's a light load, I will leave my leg wing undone and stuffed in the center air channel (on my SkyFlyer) or snapped up to the sides of my suit (on my GTi). I would absolutely not pull the LQRS on my SkyFlyer if I were already zipped in. As reported earlier, the LQRS only releases one leg, leaving the mass of the leg wing attached to the other leg. In freefall, this would be a bad situation probably resulting in a freaky spin. The LQRS was designed so that a person could more easily kick out of line twists. Pulling the handle give you your full range of leg motion to throw a leg and untwist.

Arms? If I were zipped in I would just do a poised exit and dump. Which parachute I used would depend on altitude. Anything below about 2000 feet, I would go for my reserve. Above that, I would just fly away for about five seconds and then dump my main. I have seen wing blowouts where people have cut their arms away and seen others where the pilot simply flew dirty until pull time if he still had a margin of control.

Chuck

If a bail-out is necessary, going out with everything unzipped is really no different from a CRW-style clear-and-pull. If you are concerned about your leg wing loose material you can tuck it in your crotch, snap it in quickly (if your suit have the snaps) or simply hold it with your left hand untill you pull.

Based on what happened to me on Sunday, I can tell you that this isn't true. I thought the same thing... just do a CReW-style exit/pitch, which is exactly what I did, but I had air entering the suit from every which way. I left facing with my chest into the wind. Having my legs together put me steep. Pitching with my right hand kept the right wing closed, but the left one, although unzipped, flipped me over. On top of that, entering air/drag affected the tail big time. It was the most unstable I've ever been. It was totally out of control.

I've never heard of anyone leaving the plane unzipped. Well, now I have, and I will have to agree with anyone that says to just fly the suit out, regardless of altitude. In fact, I'm going to start zipping up after I take my seatbelt off from now on.

- Mac

...it must be the best idea to exit with leg wing intact, with legs closed? Any objections?

Agreed. My new philosophy is to always do a normal chest-to-wind exit. If it's a low/bailout-situation, whether the wings come open before deploying depends on altitude/stability.

But if it's bailout situation, being at the back of the plane, I probably wouldn't even make it out. ;)

- Mac