sjonak

Cessna exits

Anyone out there doing Birdman jumps from Cessna 182's? I've only got about 25 wing suit jumps so far and all have been from a Twin Otter. This weekend I'm heading to a DZ with only 182's and need some exit advice!

Steve J
"Maintain an even strain."

Steve
"Maintain an even strain."

Chris Grenner and those guys jump out of Cessnas all the damn time. I am sure he will pipe in and give some tips. I try to avoid it, but here is what I have done on the few occasions that was all that was flying:

I sit in the "student" position, then put my feet out with the leg wing collapsed; feet crossed left over right. I cross my left arm over my chest and sort of roll out forward and towards the rear, catching a bit of air with my right wing to get me away to the left of the tail. After about one second, I pop my wings and fly off. I was not comfortable trying any sort of poised exit; the dive worked fine.

Chuck

Just did my first wingsuit jumps this weekend out of a C-182 (yes, I bought beer). The Bird people at Skydive DeLand weren't really sure how to do it (were talking about poised exit). This was great in theory, but my DZ's C-182 has a step that is set right around the trailing edge of the door, which posed a problem when trying to get "poised" using the plane's strut. So I just sat in the student position (facing aft), placed my legs on the step (collapsed wing), crossed my arms to collapse the arm wings and rolled off the step. 0.5 sec later I was arched to keep my chest on the relative wind, 0.5sec after that, spread the wings, dearched, rolled shoulders, etc... (ok, times are guesstimates). Anyway, I'm sure it cuts a few precious seconds off the dive because you're not tracking up the hill, but I didn't have to waste any effort or time trying to inch my way to a poised exit. Hope this helps!
Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

It's so easy, you're going to laugh. :-)

I was stressed about the climb out and everything, wondering where we'd have to cross our arms, legs, reaching the strut without inflating the wings and taking out the tail, etc., and when we got out and did it, it was sooooo easy. We did a poised exit and were flying right off the plane on every jump.

We had 2 people out on the strut, and I was on the outside. I sat next to the pilot facing backwards, and when the door opened, just rotated and put my right foot on the step, grabbing the base of the strut as I stood up. As I inched out, I just made sure to stay crouched down, and keep my appendages close to my body. The resistance really wasn't much.

It was really just like a normal climb out, just without as much reach.

When I was ready to go, I gave a count and just stepped off to the right, and opened up. You can literally fly the suit right off the plane. Just make sure to make a big enough step, obviously, to miss the tail to the right, and don't jump up at all, just step off. That should give you plenty of clearance.

I love Cessnas. :-)

Steve

Cessna's are great for Bird-manning! Most of my flights are outa 182's. I prefer to crouch inside the door facing forward and hop out into the relative wind (simply hopping over the step). Once I've cleared the step I open wings and fly with the cessna. Great view of everyone else following.

My only complaint is the nylon butt of my suit slides on the carpet and I usually look like I'm laying on my back the entire ride up... maybe I'll sew some velcro to my ass so I don't keep sliding around on the carpeted floor...

Chris

. . . and it lets you land on your rear and not tear the suit.

Ok, maybe it's just me, but if you can't land it standing up, what the heck are you doing in it to begin with?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

First wingsuit exit from a 182... beer this weekend.

When I arrived today, DZ operations had just ceased, and the Otter was being put away. There are some very kind people up here at Skydive Oregon that let me go up in the 182 alone.

I just went for the dive out, and it worked really well. The only problem was that when I sat up and inched back a bit to align myself with the door, my right bootie slipped off. I didn't notice until I was in the air.

It worked out pretty well, actually. The plane was on a north jump run and I was to fly west... do the math. I just kept my right leg bent a bit more than my left... the bootie had slipped, but the zipper was still down. Whenever I brought my knees down to inflate the tail, I would bank to the right a bit, so I just flew conservatively and watched the sun disappear while still in flight.

Had a great deployment/opening and a great swoop, too... easy to set up when there's no one else in the air.

Long story for one jump, but I only got one in today.

- Mac