crotalus01

Catching up

Did a couple of CRW jumps this weekend. Attempted a 3 stack after a successful 2 stack and I was docking last. After the 2 stack built it began descending too rapidly for me to catch - when I would front riser dive to get below, they would get too far from me to close, and when I would try and close the gap they would descend well below me. By the end of the jump I was so ragged out from riser dives I hardly had energy to flare. Any suggestions as to the best way to catch up in this situation?

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

The canopies on that jump were two Sabre 170s and a Safire 189, all loaded about 1.3. My friend just got a couple of dedicated CRW canopies set up so we will be using them from here out (a couple of Fury 220s with reinforced nose, red center lines, retractable PCs etc).

May have been more of a matching issue than a catching issue. I'd wait for some better gear before changing everything about technique.

Wingloading is only one factor, canopy trim, charecteristcs, etc can make the wingloading irrelevant. Get the dedicated equipment and build good habits.

Jump more, post less!

If you are above sashay to get down. Then switch to fronts and make adjustments to how much fronts you need to keep your canopy level with or a little below where you are docking.

I'm still fairly new at CRW but I've closed some pretty big horiziontal distances dockung 3rd or later by doing this.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

You've noticed that the stack has increased forward speed and descent rate. Use this to your advantage. Position yourself ahead of and below the base and let it come to you after it builds. You will still probably have to do some risering to complete the dock, but with some practice you won't get stuck chasing. You can also ask the pilot of the stack to pull a little bit of brakes to help slow things down.

Thanks for the tips guys. We are starting flying with dedicated CRW canopies next time we go.
As far as matching, I am loading my Safire slightly heavier than my buddy on his Sabre and I have rarely had any problems catching and pinning him. He, however, cannot close on me.
Hopefully the new (new to me anyways) canopies will make a difference.

>Position yourself ahead of and below the base
>and let it come to you after it builds

NEVER fly in front of a CRW formation. If you are slightly below your burble will affect the formation, and you will not be able to see them well enough to avoid causing a wrap when they catch you.

Instead, anticipate that any stack formation of 4 or more will be descending. Position yourself slightly below and behind the formation, and it will come down to you. If it is out-driving you, it will also be out-sinking you and you will rise in relative position to the formation. You can use smooth front riser input to catch it while moving downward. If you just need to sink lower but not move forward, you can "warp" your canopy by smoothly pulling one side front riser while gently applying the brake on the other side. This will decrease the performance of the canopy and it will sink. (I recommend practicing this technique on a seperate jump by setting up next to a buddy, then gently warping and observing what occurs in relation to your input.)
What could possibly go wrong?

My bad. I was trying to describe something like echelon without saying echelon and I wasn't clear enough. When I'm docking late on a stack, or even not so late on a stack that I know is going to be fast, I park down, ahead, and to the side (45 degrees, 45 degrees, and 45 degrees) and the let formation come to me.

When I'm docking late on a stack, or even not so late on a stack that I know is going to be fast, I park down, ahead, and to the side (45 degrees, 45 degrees, and 45 degrees) and the let formation come to me.

Absolutely correct. Especially in larger formations like diamonds etc. ;)
What could possibly go wrong?