marcs

BOC system?

I had 10 or 11 jumps when I transitioned from spring to BOC...

I'm glad that I was using the school's equipment when I did this because of a couple of reasons. The first is that I was under the direct supervision of my AFF instructor, and it seemed like He taught me all the possible errors using a BOC that I could encounter. Second is that the school rigs didn't have collapsible pilot chutes, so during this transition period, there's no chance of not cocking the pilot chute and dealing with that high speed malfunction. Third is that I didn't have to buy two separate pilot chutes early on in the skydiving career. The packers at the school were very nice and explained to me the proper packing sequence for using the BOC, cocking the pilot chute, and also where to look for wear and tear on the rig with regard to the BOC components (kill line, the little window on the bridle, the boc pouch).
I'm glad that I made the transition when I was a student and I think that it's the most appropriate time...

The earlier that you start to jump the type of gear that you'll eventually buy, the better.

That said, you don't want to go back and forth. Don't transition unless you're going to make the move permanent. It is not a good thing to be going back and forth.

So... transition as soon as is practicle for you, keeping in mind that once you go BOC you don't want to go back.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

At my DZ you switch for your warps, and then you are on the sport gear untill, well you don't get to switch back.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka