frost

Smaller Triathlons at high wingloadings

Thanks for the reply, Wendy, i appreciate the input! You actually took part in the thread i mention in my op (on the swoop forum more than a year ago).

I jumped a Tri-135 a few years back @ 1.6-1.7, it flew quite well actually. But I am in agreement with you suspecting that 2.3-2.5 might be a bit too much for this canopy... hoping some of the crazy CRW folks have tried it and would want to share their experience.

2.3 ?!? You're braver than I am! :P

I fly a 120 @ 1.8, and that's a freefall setup. I don't think I would want to put Dacron on it, reinforce the nose, load it even higher and still land it. I can land the 120 just fine, but it's pushing the envelope. Landing from half brakes is getting interesting already, I don't usually stand up those. It's still a great canopy, but for wingloads over 2 I wouldn't trust a Katana, let alone a Triathlon; just seems like pushing the overload a bit too far.

Aren't PD doing something with experimental crossbraced CRW-canopies? That sounds like a better plan to me. Someone on here will know about that.

Johan.
I am. I think.

Thanks for your reply, Johan!

I am comfortable with higher wingloadings, my everyday canopy is @2.8 (admittedly, that's on x-braced canopies). But I am also very comfortable with 9-cell (sabre2) 120 sq ft @~2.1:1.

Also, this would not be a canopy for CRW, it would be for wingsuits. Triathlon 135 @1.7 in my experience flew quite well, but a 99 @ 2.5 or a 120 @2 (what it would be now for me) might not...

The reason i am asking the question on this forum is because i know CReW folks fly a lot of Triathlons and at rather heavy wingloadings... was hoping some were crazier than the average dawg and have tried it at this high of a loading :)

The Tri's Team Teuge used to fly for rotation, 120s and 99s, were setup with *very* short brakes and would land like homesick bricks. But for a freefall (wingsuit) setup that would not be applicable.

I can't recommend it, of course. :P But if you're used to ludicrous wingloads, I'd say give it a shot and find out if it still flies. And flares. I honestly don't know if it'll still fly like you want to. Let us know how it goes! But honestly, why not a Crossfire or Xaos? Those have the openings you're looking for and can be loaded higher than a Tri, I'd think. (Or enjoy the wingsuit flight and accept the canopy ride under a less extreme canopy and/or wingload ..)

Johan.
I am. I think.

Aerodyne makes the Triathlon in ZPX, if you're having trouble packing a 7-cell the size you want into your main container, you might have room for a bigger ZPX Triathlon. I have a ZPX 111 Pilot in a I1 Icon, that's a container that's really for a 99 main.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?