freeflyfree

Little holes on top of my canopy...

So I bought an used Jedei sweptwing 120 made in 1997 loaded at 1.75 and it is awesome, great swoops, any way it came witl little holes on the top skin I think it was caused by the quick link, anyway, what do I do with them, they don't seem to get bigger, and I wonder if they take away some percentage of the performance of the wing...should I have patched?

Thanks
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

The little holes you are talking about generally come from not pulling your bridle out the grommet (assuming non-collapsible PC) during packing, but can also be caused by kill-lines if you don't cock your PC before you put it in the bag. If you are talking pinholes which don't seem to be getting bigger, then I would either not sweat it, or I might patch it with sticky tape. Others would argue that a proper patch is in order no matter how small the hole, but I have had the same thing happen to canopies and just "let it go" and never had the damage get any worse, even after as much as 1000 jumps post-damage.

Still, showing the damage to a local rigger would be a good idea. That said, you might get two or three different opinions if you shop around.

Chuck

The little holes you are talking about generally come from not pulling your bridle out the grommet (assuming non-collapsible PC) during packing, but can also be caused by kill-lines if you don't cock your PC before you put it in the bag. If you are talking pinholes which don't seem to be getting bigger, then I would either not sweat it, or I might patch it with sticky tape. Others would argue that a proper patch is in order no matter how small the hole, but I have had the same thing happen to canopies and just "let it go" and never had the damage get any worse, even after as much as 1000 jumps post-damage.

Still, showing the damage to a local rigger would be a good idea. That said, you might get two or three different opinions if you shop around.

Chuck

I'm probably wrong but have I not read on these forums before that sticky type patches are detremental to zp fabric...?

I'm probably wrong but have I not read on these forums before that sticky type patches are detremental to zp fabric...?

I wouldn't recommend the sticky tape. It seems that right on this forum there are two kinds of people:

1. People who have patched their canopies with the sticky tape and have had no problems with it even after thousands of jumps

2. People who have patched their canopies with the sticky tape and whose canopy fabric has deteriorated to a point where you can rip the fabric apart with your fingers.

Someone here really needs to do an experiment with the tape....

I can't say for sure about on ZP, but I recently got to see a "very-long-term" test on an old canopy of mine. My buddy Rixter Neely was here over fourth of July weekend and he still has my original Excallibur in my old pre-Sunpath Javelin J1. I put three sticky patches on that canopy not five days after I recieved the canopy due to landing off, in a big briar patch. I got that canopy in 1990 or 1991, which ever year it was released, and the patches were still on and had done no apparent damage to the canopy. They had stiffened some, but the glue had not crystalized, nor did the canopy rip when I pulled on it.

These were small 1x1 inch patches put over small pinholes and "snags" in the canopy. I wouldn't consider putting the sticky tape over any "real" holes or tears which clearly require proper patching. That said, my experiences with the sticky patches have been nothing but positive. Your milage may vary.

Chuck