MrBrant

coloring spectra (G&R pointer)

I thought you guys might have some better insights (making your non-CRW canopies more CRW friendly) to add to that thread.

Non-CRW canopies (notably high loaded, elliptical, microlined, or any combination of these) can't be made more CRW-friendly by coloring the lines. Doing CRW with these means smooth, gentle center cell stack docks at speeds where identifying the line by color isn't necessary.

Bob

I seem to remember that in Terry Parson's (?) classic book on CRW from the 80's, he specifically states that colouring lines with marker pens is not a good idea because it tends to come off onto yours and your mates shoes/jumpsuit/rig etc. He was talking about Dacron of course, but i'd imagine the same would apply to Spectra. (This is in the same section where he recommends making up your own coloured A-lines out of climbing cord!)

I don't have a copy handy to check though - can anybody confirm it?

Martin

kinda on the same note... i have thought about taking the colored sharpies to color the lines on my BASE canopy, for better identification in packing and flipping around before hitting a wall in case of sever line twists. much like paragliders lines are colored, but assymetricaly, IE blue on one side A, yellow on the other side A, etc.

never thought about the color seeping...thanks.

Even a Sharpie will not adhere well to Spectra, and it will end up on your canopy, bag & hands. Although it won't harm the Spectra or nylon.

Interesting! I did not know that.
Is it the silicon coating the prevents it from adhering or something?

In another thread, somebody mentioned using Dry Erase markers (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=78056#78056). I imagine this would have the same problem of rubbing off (if not worse), but I wonder if it would make less of a mess...

Just like a sharpe, a dry erase will also rub off and will stain clothing. I know this because I have close with stain marks from both marker types. If you want to color your lines have a rigger replace them or the manufacturer do it next time you reline your canopy.

It has already been said but I'll say it again since the average person has to hear something 7 times before they remember. MICRO LINE CRW IS BAD NEWS. I've been there done it have the burn marks to prove it. The same goes for HP canopies as well. I'll give you the # of a friend who tried to dock on me with a Velocity & wound up $500 broker for it and a canopy that needed patching.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Wait a minute, what's all this nonsense.

I know for a fact that human blood will stick to lines just fine.

But, while they'll start out a brilliant shade of red, they will fade more of a chocolate brown color, over time.

Probably, best if to reapply regularly, to keep them shiny and red.

Blue skies, red blood sports,
Jim Rasmussen