BrianM

What kind of lines on a Hybrid Triathlon?

Hello,

I've got a couple hundred CRW jumps on a hybrid Triathlon that had all dacron lines - as did the hybrid tri's of the other people I was jumping with (they were team canopies, so naturally they were all the same).

Today I was told by someone that hybrid tri's normally have spectra lines with the exception of the centre and outside A and B lines which are dacron.

Two questions:
1. Is this true?
2. What do people think about the spectra/dacron mix for CRW? Personally I'd prefer all dacron lines for CRW, and was surprised to learn that the hybrid tri isn't all dacron.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

1. no, never seen a hybrid tri with anything else than all dacron
2. I've seen the combination you mention on comp tri's, special order though.
Most people don't like spectra for serious crw. If you are a top team, do whatever you want, if you are just doing some casual crw spectra is fine, but for everything else I'd think everyone would recommend all dacron...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

While it's true that the outside and center lines are the only ones that you're supposed to be involved with on a CRW jump, a wrap can get you intimately involved with many other lines. For that reason, I think that the spectra lines should be avoided.

I don't like to sound pessimistic, but things happen. :P

Kevin

I nfortunately was told the same thing when I ordered mine and unfortunately I picked the spectra myself, wish I had gone dacron. I guess most people don't buy them with the intention of doing any serious crw.

The other thing I disliked was they don;t tell you the pack volume of the hybrid, only the regular tri. I ordered my container bigger to take the hybrid tri, but it's still too tight! I would like to see the pack volume or recommended container size on their website/order form.

That said, it's a nice canopy!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

...they really pushed the spectra line for the hybrid. Even challenging the theory about dacron causing less line burn.

Put a couple wraps of Spectra around their necks and then ask them to repeat their answer.;)

It's not so much the material that matters, but the size. The smaller diameter lines exert a hugely higher pressure than a larger line. For example, imagine hanging by your ankles from clothesline or piano wire. I think the clothesline would be much more comfortable. Piano wire ? - not so comfortable.

Kevin K.

Hello,

I've got a couple hundred CRW jumps on a hybrid Triathlon that had all dacron lines - as did the hybrid tri's of the other people I was jumping with (they were team canopies, so naturally they were all the same).

Today I was told by someone that hybrid tri's normally have spectra lines with the exception of the centre and outside A and B lines which are dacron.

Two questions:
1. Is this true?
2. What do people think about the spectra/dacron mix for CRW? Personally I'd prefer all dacron lines for CRW, and was surprised to learn that the hybrid tri isn't all dacron.

I have hybrid and did no special ordering.

To answer your questions.
1. It is not true unless you specify you want all lines dacron or the out side and inside A line dacron. The default configuration as it stands is inside A lines dacron.

2. While I do agree specta is bad for doing CRW and even though the hybrid could be used for agressive CRW, I don't think that the intention of the canopy was for agressive CRW since there is a competition CRW model of the tri. With that being said I think the Hybrid would best be used for very non agressive CRW and only stacking/ plane ups and the occaisional (with experienced dogs only) downplanes. It would make a great demo canopy for shows since they land really great.

If it were ordered with all dacron lines then that would change everything pertaining to how the canopy should be used.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I agree that a hybrid should not be used for aggressive CRW. The droop nose does not reinflate nearly as fast as the competition model, and there is no reinforcement.

If it were ordered with all dacron lines then that would change everything pertaining to how the canopy should be used.

How do you figure that? The canopy is the same fabric, planform, construction (other than the retraction system), line length, and line trim as the stock Triathlon. All dacron lines will open a little slower with less opening shock, and fly at an unnoticeably slower airspeed. There is no discernable difference in the flight characteristics between dacron and spectra lined standard or hybrid Triathlons.

As Kevin points out, you will notice a difference if you get entangled by an all or mostly spectra lineset. For the sake of your fellow dogs, buy all dacron.

Bob

Thanks everyone for the comments. It looks like I'm not the only one who dislikes the spectra/dacron mix for CRW. I had assumed that any canopy intended for CRW, even casual CRW, would be all-dacron. I had no idea the hybrid was normally sold (or even available) that way.

Anyway, the person who told me about this had two hybrid Tri's for sale, he said they both had the spectra/dacron mix, which I wasn't too keen on. Today he took a look and discovered that one of them was actually all dacron, so I bought that one this afternoon.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg