crotalus01

learning CRW at a DZ where noone does CRW?

hey all, I am very interested in CRW. problem is at my DZ virtually noone has any CRW experience - certainly not enough to teach. I really dont have the funds to travel to learn it. So, what would be the best way for me to learn CRW? should I just go out and do an altitude h&p with a friend and go for it or what? on second thought that sounds (and reads) like a really bad idea. Any suggestions?
thanks

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

If you can make it to a CRW camp somewhere when they're offered that would be the best bet. Maybe save up, and make an appearance at another dropzone for a camp. I know when I started out, I flew down to florida for a beginner CRW camp. I'd definitely suggest NOT going up and doing high altitude jumps with non-experienced people.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

So, what would be the best way for me to learn CRW? should I just go out and do an altitude h&p with a friend and go for it or what? on second thought that sounds (and reads) like a really bad idea.

That's actually how I started doing CRW. Having said that, however, this was when most newer jumpers (and most experienced jumpers too) were on lightly loaded canopies (and no microline). It won't replace going somewhere and doing CRW with an experienced jumper, but you can have some fun learning. Depending on where you are, you might even be able to convince someone to come to your DZ and run a beginner's camp. We did that on several occassions. A modest registration fee to cover demo canopies and the instructor's jumps/accommodations should do it.

The value of attending a beginner's camp can't be stressed enough. Not only will you get great jumps with people who know what they're doing, but the safety seminar is a great way to think about all the variables that go into CRW.

You can't really do CRW by yourself, and teaching yourself and your friends can be pretty tough (and hazardous :S). "Traveling" doesn't have to mean flying to ZHills or Perris Valley. You can line up an instructor at a relatively close DZ, pile some of your friends into the car and make a road trip. Yes, it will cost a little money, but it would be minimal.

The bottom line is that if you want it bad enough, you will pull it off. Most of the folks who do CRW successfully have had to go extra miles to get their experience. CRWDogs are few and far between. You've made a good first step by communicating with some people on DZ.com. Find someone who is willing to work with you and figure out how to hook up with them. The cool things that await you in CRW make it well worth the effort. Good luck. ;)

Kevin

DAMN just was looking at the WL of you guys who replied....do I need to WL that high to get into CRW? I am jumping a Sabre 190 WL about 1.26:1. Really dont think I would be wise to load a canopy up at the 1.4 range at my jump #s....hell most folks on here think I am already loaded way too high (my DZ is a bit more progressive when it comes to WL and newbies due to the lack of obstacles and wide open landing area with tons of outs).

DAMN ....do I need to WL that high to get into CRW?

You can negotiate your WL with whoever you jump with. There's no need to be higher than you are comfortable with. It just depends on what canopies are available for you to use. Somebody could find you a Lightning 190 and set themselves up with a similar WL. I never said it was easy, I just said it was fun.
Bubbles can advise you on why not to go with too high a WL.

Don't worry. What could possibly go wrong. (See Attachment.) :P

Kevin K.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Not at all. I teach probably more CRW than anyone out there to newbies and I teach lots of folks at way lighter wing-loadings. Especially on 2 and 3-ways, wing-loading isn't very critical.. I work a lot with Spectres and Triathalons as well and those canopies you can easily work with at lighter wing-loadings...

okay thanks folks. honestly if I had to WL that high I would be waiting for a long while to try CRW. I will keep an eye open for beginner camps and see if anyone else at my DZ would be interested in going (although I seriously doubt they will)...

Some theoretical info to start with: http://ozcrw.tripod.com/training.htm#BegTheory

But as everyone has said, it does not beat practical tutoring from people in the know.

Some ways to reduce costs:
- get your club / DZ to assist with sponsorship.
- have a fund raiser.
- get a group of people organised to chip in together to pay for a tutor.
- sell something.
- change you spending priorities (how important is that next piss up).

Paying a little extra for tutored jumps will mean a lot to the development of your parachuting skills. 5 jumps with an experienced tutor/instructor is like 25 jumps by yourself - and you still may not have it right after 25 jumps.

Faster, but controlled progression is payed back many times over by the skills you develop earlier and the fun you have.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

and see if anyone else at my DZ would be interested in going (although I seriously doubt they will)...

Well, you will need at least one buddy anyway. Doing crew on your own gets old really fast.
[:\]
Here's an article I wrote in 2002. yes, your question has been asked before
http://cluebox.org/~remko/writings/crew_dock.html

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.