WatchYourStep

First CRW jump. AMAZING

On the ride to altitude I was asking one of the guys about CRW, and I said it was something I'd like to do in the future. We conversed back and forth. On the jump he flew around me a lot to make sure we had compatible canopies, but never came close to docking on me. After more talking on the ground we decided to do it the next day.

(A quick background on the gentleman helping me out. He has over a 1000 jumps and loves CRW, but spends most of his time doing tandems. He has completed a 4 stack at night.)

Anyways on Sunday morning we went over a ton of stuff. Mainly EPs because those were my biggest concerns. I exited first gave a short delay and deployed. I opened and had line twists, wonderful! I kicked them out and was good to go. We flew around for a little bit and I was following his instructions that he was giving me. After a few missed attempts I got the canopy and wrapped my feet in the lines. He gave it some brakes and the next thing I knew I was almost on top of him.

After some flying around I came down a little farther and grabbed his leg which was between my legs, and he did the same to me. We did a downplane, I believe that's the name for it, for a few seconds, but I couldn't hold it anymore.

It was amazing, and I was on cloud 9 all day. I'm looking forward to doing it again.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

a downplane on your first crw jump with a tandem instructor, huh?? :|

edit - I smell bs....

Your opinion, so that' cool. Although I'm not really sure I understand why you're calling it, but hey whatever.

Charlie is a tandem instructor, but we there weren't a lot of tandems this weekend so that's how he was able to get a few fun jumps in.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Actually, I'm a tandem instructor who does CRW (1000+ crw jumps) and I usually do bisides with my student CRWers on their first crw jumps, and probably at least one downplane after the last pin....

Seems to me bisides and downplanes are pretty basic 2-person maneuvers, and give the student lots of experience with climbing around and changing grips/etc.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Actually, I'm a tandem instructor who does CRW (1000+ crw jumps) and I usually do bisides with my student CRWers on their first crw jumps, and probably at least one downplane after the last pin....

Seems to me bisides and downplanes are pretty basic 2-person maneuvers, and give the student lots of experience with climbing around and changing grips/etc.

I don't think it's what was said, it's how it was said that didn't sound right...

Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. Still learning. If you still don't believe me you can check out the DZs page at:

http://www.skydivekansas.com/whazzup.asp

Go down to the section where it reads "This past weekend..." read down a little ways and the DZO gives it a mention.

Aaahh don't worry about it all.

Your perception is your reality. If you are happy within your own heart and mind that something happened the way you think, then it did happen. ;)

Enjoy CRW. :)
Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

Tom

p.s. you did it with a Tandem Instructor???? That's just plain crazy!!! ;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I'm jealous you did a downplane on your first CRW jump. I have 15 most of which was 3-way rotation and still have not done a downplane. In time I will when the moment is right. Welcome to the dark side.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Cool, and good on you . . .

We used to say, "Grab a square in the air, if you have the hair . . ."

There's nothing like the first time you reach for the leading edge of another's canopy.

During CRW in the early days, and like RW, we docked from above (the person on the bottom was the base) but we finally figured out it was better to dock from below, the opposite of RW, and that unlocked the door . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

You were there in the early days too? My first stack was in 1978... but somehow I didn't try docking from the top... I came right up from behind. Not that anybody told me how to do it... it's just that my canopy was much faster than the one I was docking on! I have given a couple of guys there first CRW jumps recently and I love to watch the amazement take them over! I considered doing a down plane with the last guy (I got bored...we opened high and I pinned him quickly) but I thought a Bi-Plane was enough for him on his first time touching another canopy...

Rick
CCS 177
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

Always fun to take up a first CRW-er!

My general plan for the first jump is 3 side-by-side transition bottom docks followed by 3 side-by-side transition top docks. Rotate off the top, bottom-dock the newbie again, then call him down for a downplane.

The student gets an incredibly busy skydive and you get a good chance of hooking him/her into CRW.

Of course, the above plan works well with CRW first timers that have some canopy skill and/or aptitude to start off with. There are a few that you can only do so much with...