JaapSuter

Washington or BC CRW

Hi,

I'm looking for some CRW coaching, but my local DZ doesn't have any CRW people around.

Are there any dropzones in lower BC or Washington with people that do paid coach-CRW jumps?

I have a 7-cell vented base canopy that I'd like to use if possible, but maybe I'm better off using a CRW specific canopy?

Thanks,

Jaap

that depends........................................
how long of a delay are you planning on taking...........................................................
and how will you pack your pilot chute ??????????

he he he

but seriously,
i'd recommend you travel to Kapowsin for some canopy fun.
your BASE canopy will likely not work well only because of wing-loading / rate of descent issues with smaller ZP canopies. I'm sure someone at Kapowsin can pull out a Pegasus or Cruiselite or ?????

If Bob Lyon responds to your email, take advantage of any offer of assistance. He's a good guy.

be safe and don't use a 9 ft bridle.

kleggo

I'd recommend you travel to Kapowsin for some canopy fun.

It is a good place was there myself last weekend.

You might even try Snohomish 20 miles north of Seattle. I was asking the same thing on Saturday and told there is a large group of CReW dogs in the area. All you need to do is give them a ring and they will be at the DZ.

If you want PM me and I can get a hold of a contact of mine. She will give me a list of all BIG name CReW dogs in the area.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

i'll be at snohomish may 7th for the accuracy meet, however, i've only really done CRW on sub-100 xbraced canopies, so it probibly wouldn't be best if we tried with our canopies:P
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

BASE canopies do not maintain pressure as well as CRW canopies when subjected to sudden forces - i.e. bad or angled docks. You have a higher chance of de-pressurisation and wrapping than on a CRW specific canopy. You can certainly do CRW on your BASE canopy, but you have to be a little more gentle.

Other issues include the lack of a retraction system for the bridle and pilot chute (these can tangle with the other jumper). longer lines (this will exaggerate any spinning of the suspended load and give a narrower but longer target area (higher wrap chance) if aiming for a stack/plane dock)), front riser grippers (many BASE canopies don't have them or they are just flat webbing which are harder to grab, etc.

The benefits of using CRW specific equipment are many. One of them is you can go harder, be rougher, perform more radical manoeuvres, and perform a wider range of manoeuvres than on standard canopies. I.e. you can learn more. This is about learning fundamentals and principles of canopy flight and performance. Just remember that you have to adjust these learnings when going back to BASE gear.

p.s. you can also do CRW on high performance ellipticals. BUT. . . . No offense "superstu" - but as much fun as highly loaded elliptical CRW is, IT IS NOT the way to learn and your learning curve will be LESS than on proper CRW gear. Why? Because mortal human beings are more scared on smaller canopies and tend not to perform at their limits or the limits of the equipment. More things can go wrong - bridle wraps, injury due to severe abrasion, extreme descent rates in wraps or shutdowns, all of these worries detract from your performance and this detracts from your learning potential. You are less likely to plane, make offset formations or build and fly larger formations.

Have you seen a partially severed leg or fingers caused by high speed abrasion on microline? Probably not.

So please don't encourage elliptical CRW for beginners. Tools are developed for specific purposes for a reason. Yes, the tools can be improved, and yes, I am a strong believer in cross skilling (see http://ozcrw.tripod.com/benefits_crw.htm#BASE), but doing something out of ignorance, wanting project an image of coolness, or total lack of desire to do something properly is not smart. Especially for beginners.

Go get a lightning or Switchblade or Triathlon or Prodigy or. . . . and do it properly. Learn the right way. AND THEN go do some elliptical CRW. You will be amazed at how much better you will be and how much more you will be able to do.

;)

p.s. check out the following web site, it has a bunch of CRW info. Its a long way from completion but its a start.

http://ozcrw.tripod.com/
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Are there any dropzones in lower BC or Washington with people that do paid coach-CRW jumps?

There are plenty at Kapowsin, but good luck getting them to accept any pay other than maybe a beer or eight.

I have a 7-cell vented base canopy that I'd like to use if possible, but maybe I'm better off using a CRW specific canopy?

Is there a specific reason you want to use your base canopy? You'd be better off using a Lightning.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)