DaGimp

Side by side and downplanes

Hey, im firly new to CReW and have done a few High Performance 2, 3, 4 stacks.....was wondering on how to go about getting from a two stack to a side by side then a downplane......im guessing that top man slides down to the risers, grab main lift web, pull canopy to a side by side get on level, lock legs, pull canopies to a down plane.

Now please correct me if im wrong, or if its more complicated then that.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I'd HIGHLY recommend not doing side by sides & downplanes with HP canopies. But, hey, it's your choice.

Having said that, to get into a side by side the bottom jumper pulls the top jumper all the way down and to a side (past the risers). Once both jumpers get good grips on each other's MLW, both apply slight outside toggle pressure to split the canopies. No need to lock legs. Heavy outside toggle pressure will just send you into any immediate downplane. Fly the side by side around and when you're ready to go into the down plane, each jumper gives the other the same leg (R or L). Hold on to the leg with both hands and enjoy the ride.

You can also go into a downplane straight from a stack/plane. The bottom jumper pulls the top jumper straight down until the top's hands are at the 3 rings. The top spreads their legs while the bottom kicks their legs up to the top. The top should take a loose grip while the bottom turns to one side and pulls the canopy down to that side. Instant downplane.

There's also the parabatic grip, but that's for another day...

Edited for speling and to add that all inputs should be smooth and just sufficient to get the job done. Too hard of an input & you have the possibility of having an instant wrap. This is especially true if you want to try this with HP canopies (again NOT recommended). I've done CRW with HP canopies and they're very twitchy and unforgiving.

I'd HIGHLY recommend not doing side by sides & downplanes with HP canopies. But, hey, it's your choice.

Naw, I did a side by side with HP canopies, it was cool, especially since the ends of the canopies aren't real straight and strong, the canopies tried to insta-wrap and eat each other.

Give it a try, I mean, your main shouldn't have all the fun, it'll give you a good reason (possible ball of shit) to air out your reserve.

:P

Ok, seriously, side by side with HP canopies resulted in some wild spinning nearly serious wrap situations for me and a buddy.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Conventional pilot chutes can cause lots of trouble while transitioning to a side by side. You don't want them tangled up. Go and static-line some student canopies like Ravens or whatever if you don't have access to decent CReW gear. Downplanes are lots of fun, go for it!

Remko

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

No kidding. I know a couple guys who had a pilot chute entaglement just before they came out with the retractable system. The were too low to cut away and hit the ground like a propeller on a helicopter. They both ended up stradling a road each in a service ditch. I think they both walked away. Crazy stuff...but crazy enough to buy a retractable system as well as set some rules for yourself such as no new formations under 4000 ft or whatever. Think. Plus...for earlier posts, side by side and offset formations with an elliptical canopy is asking for a wrap.

Cheers,
Travis