jverley

Exiting with toggles in hand

Some members of our local CRW team have been exiting with both toggles in their hands. The very brief answer I received on why they were doing that involved new canopies (lightning 107's) and steering through the openings.

Can any experienced CRW folks comment on the benefits of this?

I thought that with the new rules, you had 30 seconds or so to build the first point before the clock started and therefore did not need too be as quick to the first point.

I appreciate any feedback.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

The main benefit is to be able to correct an off-heading opening asap. A secondary benefit is to be able to start any turn sooner. Since the brakes are unstowed, the canopy opens a little slower and you just stab both brakes to get full inflation.

The Russians have been doing this for years and it works quite well (it does look a little wierd with the brakes velcroed to the mudflaps). The 30 second rule only applies to rotations and even then, you just can't slow a competetive CRWdog down.

Bob

I thought that with the new rules, you had 30 seconds or so to build the first point before the clock started and therefore did not need too be as quick to the first point.

That 30 second rule is for 4-way Rotations.

For 8-way Speed CRW competitions the clock starts when the first team member leaves the plane, and stops when the formation is complete. I believe that 4-way Sequential competitions do not use the 30-second rule either.

FAI's Canopy Formation competition rules can be found here:
http://www.fai.org/parachuting/documents/cf_2004.pdf

As a CF camera lady (with the impartial eye and all that) I've see n some wierd things.

You mention Russians and this gets me thinking. Did anyone see the Russian 8 way in the 2002 world cup (Empuriabrava, Spain) in-the-door with their reinforced toggles stowed in their D-rings?!

Far from me to advocate this...what do I know?! But it did kinda looks a bit like taking things to the edge to max the 'build' time??? I heard the French worked on this with interesting results...!!!

Still, saying this, I had the pleasure of watching the Russians on a training dive during the world cup filming under canopy build an 8 way diamond in seconds and it was truely breathtaking. Respect to them but they are a force unto themselves.

I guess what I'm addressing is my assumption of the added risk...
Life is a four letter word!

Does anyone have a photo of a setup like this? I'm having trouble picturing how you could exit with the toggles already in hand, and still pitch the PC.

Thanks!

No photo, but from what I've heard they don't grab their toggles until after they've pitched the PC. Exit, dump, grab, steer through the opening.

So, the toggles are mounted on the mud flaps? So that they can be grabbed immediately after pitching?

That's the setup I've seen used in competition. Just pitch and grab the toggles. By the time you get them off the velcro the canopy is off your back and inflating with the brakes pulled to about the same as a normal brake setting. It's real easy to steer through the opening and/or correct an off-heading.

Bob

I've seen it done with mesh sliders, box sliders (normal slider with the material hot-knifed out), and X sliders, I haven't seen it with done with no slider, though I can't imagine it would work much different. I'll take a guess it's not a good idea with zoo toggles.

Bob