mikemc

Opening times?

As a rule can I say the bigger the canopy the longer it takes to open?

I know how you pack has a lot to do with it.

I am thinking my reserve might be to small for me, (Techo 155 my exit weight 200lbs I havent used it ). But I wouldnt want to forfeit opening time for a slower canopy.

what does anyone think.

To be more precise, wing loading affects opening time. The heavier the wing loading, the quicker a canopy will open.
Just ask any tandem instructor.
And yes, you are over-loading your Techno 150.

But correct me if i'm wrong, even a 1:1 loading on a reserve is still going to open (if packed correctly) in under 3 - 4 seconds right?

According the the manufacturers website (PDF) you are no overloading your reserve but you are just above the maximum recommended weight.

max recommended = 90Kgs = 198lbs
absolute maximum = 100Kgs = 220lbs

Speak to the CCI if you have any concerns about your reserve and experience.

Graeme

You know what's funny, and I'm sure I'm not the first to think about this...

I just watched Fly Like a Pro and they were talking about landing considerations for big ways. They said the obvious: if you end up under canopy lower than everyone else or fly a high WL you should land first, if you end up under canopy higher than everyone else or fly a low WL you should land last. Here's the irony: if a high WL and low WL dump at same alti, the high WL will be under canopy much higher, but in general he would want to land first. Not sure what to conclude from all of this, except maybe the high WL's should dump lower I guess...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

For his experience level, his reserve is too small.
As long as he doesn't need it I guess though, he will be okay, right? :S

A few years back, upon repack cycle & dumping my reserve out on the ground, we discovered that my previous rigger had packed & closed my rig in such a way as to potentially even have had (if it was used) a TOTAL MALFUNCTION! ---Good thing I never needed it!! >:(>:(>:(B|

Entirely different matter here; however, the moral of my story is that I am now, personally, 100% sure of my reserve (at least it's condition) and my personal "confidence level" in it, period. If you are unsure, especially at this stage of the game for YOU Mike of your abilities and capabilities under a 150 -regardless if even being marginally within technicalities of "spec" (as you apparently are), you need to get a larger reserve.

Maximum Load refers to MAXIMUM weight under which the canopy should not sustain damage under ONLY!

Sure, chances are everything would be "okay", but clearly you are having yourself some doubts about this, and bottom line is you do not need to be in a position to have those types of second thoughts if and when the situation where you potentially might need it arises!

Graeme is correct about this ...speak to your CCI directly about this, and seriously consider PROPERLY sizing your reserve to YOU so as to be within BOTH the maximum recommended weight AND your own comfort/experience level. You may want to do this before your very next jump too. ...You NEVER know when you might NEED it, and you DON'T need this in the back of your mind should you look up to see your main for some reason going all to shit on you! Hesitation can (and has) kill(ed) in this sport.

My .02

Blue Skies, and safe jumps!
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

The other piece of the equation though that you miss considering with this is opening separation.

Actually, with (and so long as) proper separation is also acheived, there is absolutely no conflict here with this at all, and that recommendation is indeed fully correct.

According the the manufacturers website (PDF) you are no overloading your reserve but you are just above the maximum recommended weight.

max recommended = 90Kgs = 198lbs
absolute maximum = 100Kgs = 220lbs

Speak to the CCI if you have any concerns about your reserve and experience.

Graeme

The absolute max. is the weight that if exceeded may damage the canopy on deployment. Max recommended is the weight where your body my be damaged during landing. Just because the canopy will take the opening does not mean your body with survive the landing.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Wingloading isn't everything when it comes to opening time. My PD150 opens a hell of a lot faster than the Spectre135 I'm demoing. In fact, the longer snivel and higher descent rate is putting me right smack dab in the middle of all the canopy traffic...something I don't deal with often under my PD150 since I'm usually so far above most of the other traffic in the pattern.

Dave

Max recommended is the weight where your body my be damaged during landing.

?? Do you know how they calculate this?

Wingloading isn't everything when it comes to opening time.

Also, since we're talking about a reserve - I believe the opening time is mandated - something like 350 feet at sea level?

?? Do you know how they calculate this?

Drop testing of pre-mass-manufacture prototypes, then type certifying.

Also, since we're talking about a reserve - I believe the opening time is mandated - something like 350 feet at sea level?

I don't have the exact spec's either, but yes, something like this, so long as loaded WITHIN PLACARDED AND SPECIFIED RANGE / LIMITS!

Bottom line is that this jumper is outside of his limits! Don't putz with your last chance like this, kid. You may never need it, but you also never know! ...get yourself an appropriately sized reserve for your situation (and within recommended specs). Your earlier stated concerns about potentially compromising "opening time" otherwise (within spec) are just NOT VALID.

It is not so much distance as it is time. Distance will vary with freefall speed. I believe it is 3 sec. with 3 line twists. I could look it up but I am not at home.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks for eveybodies comments.

You have confirmed what i suspected already. I have recently had a slight accident, I f*!cked up on landing. I dont want to be in same situation under a smaller canopy.

I have resided myself to using club gear (larger canopies) until I sort out my rig or get another.

i still don't understand why wingloading should effect opening time. I can see how higher weight would mean a faster freefall -- faster opening, and how a smaller canopy needs less air to infalte -- faster opening, but i cna't see how that's anything more than a general correlation, ie: heavy people jumping small canopies.

if a light person and a heavy person are jumping the same size and make canopy, and are salling at the same speed (very important there), shouldn't the openings be similar?

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time