NeedToJump

CReW Risers

I'm looking into buying a Lightning and I have been told that there are different riser settings you can get for doing sequencial or rotation or speed, etc. Could anyone tell me what the different settings are and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are?

I know about the Vetrap and two to ones, but I was told there's other settings as well. I haven't been able to find any information about this.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

PD makes different line trims for their canopies - is that what you mean? If that's the case I would suggest sequential trim. I'd also get the line lengths in matching with what the guys organizing the current world record suggest - your canopy will match more of the others on the market. Their specs are available at:
http://www.cfworldrecord.com/

As far as risers go - different people prefer different types of toggles. Some people like 2-1's, some don't. I like to get blocks put on my rear risers as well as my front (tho I also have 2-1's on my fronts) for easy gripping.

Many people prefer the wide risers for gripping - I always get mini-risers because I have small hands and can't grip the wide risers.

PD makes different line trims for their canopies - is that what you mean? If that's the case I would suggest sequential trim. I'd also get the line lengths in matching with what the guys organizing the current world record suggest - your canopy will match more of the others on the market. Their specs are available at:
http://www.cfworldrecord.com/risers.htm

Yup, what Wendy said. See this Word document for details. Remember to specify red inside and outside A-lines on the order as well - the person you dock on will appreciate it.

As far as risers go - different people prefer different types of toggles. Some people like 2-1's, some don't. I like to get blocks put on my rear risers as well as my front (tho I also have 2-1's on my fronts) for easy gripping.

You'll also want self-opening toggles so you're not fumbling when reaching for a toggle. Aerotech Products (http://www.aerotechproducts.com/) has both CRW risers and toggles available.

Many people prefer the wide risers for gripping - I always get mini-risers because I have small hands and can't grip the wide risers.

Similarly, some of us have short arms so we get shorter risers in order to be able to grip up near the links or grab individual lines if need by. My risers are 19".

Bob

Remember to specify red inside and outside A-lines on the order as well - the person you dock on will appreciate it.

Yep. PD doesn't seem to do this very well by default.

[reply[
You'll also want self-opening toggles so you're not fumbling when reaching for a toggle. Aerotech Products (http://www.aerotechproducts.com/) has both CRW risers and toggles available.

I've had various ones over the years. My favorites were made at the Square 1 rigging loft - they have cutaway cable through the toggle so they're in an "always-open" mode.

Similarly, some of us have short arms so we get shorter risers in order to be able to grip up near the links or grab individual lines if need by. My risers are 19".
/reply]

I use 17" ones on my CRW rig. It even allows me to grab individual lines as need be.

W

I think you're referring to 2:1 or 3:1 mechanicals. (Trim tabs are similar but are "set" and require a separate action to release them - I've not seen them used in years). For 2:1s, a length of reinforcement tape (often 1" Type IV, but it varies) or brake line is sewn/attached to the bottom (3-ring) end of the forward side of the front riser that extends up to and through a guide ring (often the same as the middle ring in a Type XVII riser setup) or rapide link and is terminated with a loop or toggle. 3:1s start at the top and have an additional ring/link at the bottom of the riser.

The pic of the mini risers I referred to in a previous post shows the top guide ring (same size as the brake guide ring) and the lower attachment point (harder to see - just a loop of Type IV held with a couple horizontal baratcks).

In any case, I'll have to defer to Wendy or someone else for a detailed pic. I'm one of those that feels less is more and I don't have or use mechanicals.

Bob (edited to add info re: my mini risers)

New CRW risers. Blue loops are the 2:1's the red are the dive blocks and the yellow are the pop open toggles. Mine are different in they are weighted so I can throw them and they always return to hanging straight up and down.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PD makes different line trims for their canopies - is that what you mean?

Yes, I think is what I meant. I know I was told that there are different options available for the different CRW disciplines. What is the different in the line trims then?

Remember to specify red inside and outside A-lines on the order as well - the person you dock on will appreciate it.

I also thought that this was standard with CRW canopies, but I guess not, I'll definitely have to tell them that.

Yes, I think is what I meant. I know I was told that there are different options available for the different CRW disciplines. What is the different in the line trims then?

Sequential is what the majority of people use. Its the flattest trim. Rotation is the steepest trim, and demo's somewhere inbetween. Unless you're jumping team or have some other reason to buy something other than the standard, go sequential.

I also thought that this was standard with CRW canopies, but I guess not, I'll definitely have to tell them that.

Its sposed to be - but from what we've seen lately they're not so good about it. One friend had his canopy relined and it came back with red end cell lines but not red center cell lines? Strange.....

W

Thanks for all the information. I was away at Skydive New England over the weekend and spoke with Keith MacBeth about this also and have figured out what I want. Now I just need to actually order my canopy from PD since everyone just seems to laugh at me when I talk about trying to find a used Lightning 126... New canopy, here I come :)