PhreeZone

Landing a Lighting

Alright.... whats the trick to getting a soft landing on a Lighting? I'm borrowing a Lighting with extra links in the rear for trim and I can't get it to land softly. I'm standing them up with no issue... but it it a hard landing. I'm flying it like my old Spectre....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Don't fly it like your old Spectre. I've landed them pretty well up until my last jump where I went to my knees. John LeBlanc once told me not to go into a deep flare because they fall out of the sky. A 2 stage landing might be the ticket. Maybe Wendy can shed some light on the Lightning.;)

I don't really know about the Lightning, but I have ~10 jumps on Flight Concepts Express CF-canopies. At the wingloadings most people at my DZ jump them, it is impossible to get a soft landing with a straight-in approach. Some people do a front-riser hook, but most seem to use double front-risers for that extra speed.

Erno

BTW, when jumping a new CF-canopy, remember to test the stall point at altitude. The scar with four stitches in my elbow reminds me not to stall an Express at 3 meters above a taxiway...

Right. I always tell people to do a straight-in approach with front risers for extra speed. Its almost impossible to get a decent landing out of the suckers without the front risers. I just come in hard on front risers, about 5 feet above where I'd normally flare I release the risers and then I plane it out. Don't go too deep into the flare because it will stall higher than Spectres.

FWIW, I find it easier to land the canopy with links in the rear risers than without them.

W