ryan_d_sucks

Freefly with Dolphin

Anyone have any experience with this? I have the "newer" model which has tuck tabs on the risers and added bridle protection. It still has a velcro reserve and main flap though.

I have been tentative to try anything other than belly flying with it. The closest I've come to anything else is a horny gorilla.

I'd like to start trying to freefly soon, but I can't afford a new container for a while.. But I can't really afford a premie and a broken back either.

So anyone with experience?

The main flap is still closed with Velcro right? The bridle flap that I have seen on the "newer" models still is not as good as any of the other designs like the Javelin cover. Out of the 3 premature deployments I have seen freeflying all 3 have been on Dolphins. I started at a Dolphin heavy DZ and saw a few Dolphins every weekend - I wouldn't freefly in any of them unless the design has been even further refined.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have a Dolphin from 2000 and when I bought it a year ago before I ever jumped it I sent it back to Altico. He was awesome at getting everything ready for freeflying and making sure it was done quickly and for a good price. I think I spent $300 to get new riser covers, tuck tab reserve cover and a new BOC with the bridle cover. I have put about 80 freefly jumps on this rig both head up and head down with no problems. It is worth calling him and asking the questions for yourself. In the end if you have gear fear then you need to spend some money to loose that fear. Good luck

Blue skies

If you notice on the website, they don't put pictures up of the rig being used for freeflying.

Can you freefly in it? Yes of course. Is it truly suitable? Not really.

I haven't seen the latest Dolphin but I've watched the progression of freeflying since I began skydiving. There are folks that insist a rig is ok to fly in because they've done it several times. Well, many of us (and the people wearing the rigs) have seen too many things not go the way they'd want.

To put it in perspective. Head down is a position. Anyone can go head down for a while. One that may or may not be actually straight down. Sit is just a position as well.

Take that rig and do lots of layouts, and stop in a stand and spin it. Stop, do 3 cartwheels, then stop head down and perform a helicopter. Stop, flip to feet then toss yourself to several front flips stopping on your back ... you get the idea.

The dolphin would not put me at ease the way it comes from the factory.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I haven't seen the latest Dolphin

The dolphin would not put me at ease the way it comes from the factory.

As of what date?

The Javelin, Wonderhog (a 30 year old design as far as the FAA is concerned which is now sold as the "Vector 3"), and Mirage (also legally interesting) wouldn't be too good from free flying in their older forms either.

I already stated that I haven't seen the latest dolphin so the date doesn't matter. According to the pictures on the website, it doesn't appear to have changed in the the last couple years.

My experience in freeflying and rigging is not limited, so unless the rig has changed, my original post still stands.

The latest Mirage and Vector Infinity, VooDoo, and more, are good examples of secure rigs for acrobatic type moves, The Dolphin is not in the the same category as those rigs.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I had a dolphin last year and I did some sit flying with it, never had a problem but a premy was always in the back of my mind...bottom line is that you shouldn't be worrying about your equipment when you jump. Best option is to sell what you got now and get something more suitable...plenty of used containers out there that would be great and not cost you alot more then what you already have invested....just gotta wait for a good deal!

I bought my Dolphin new in 2005. The only modification I needed to make was to add the tuck tab to the bottom of the reserve pin flap. I have over 180 freefly jumps with it and feel perfectly safe.

People like to bash the Dolphin for some reason, not sure why, but I have had great success with mine.
... Marion