Is it just me or have freefly suits become more tapered and less baggy?

in reply to "But it seems to me you have a bigger range of speed freeflying... "

Mmmm, seen the need for it in wingsuiting as well for ultra-lights in HP suits trying to keep down with the heavy weights in flocks.

Pity it seems like funny airmanship getting heavier to fly better. I suppose strapping lead is more about relativity

-

I think there are a few good reasons why people are wearing less fabric these days.

Weight: of the skydiver is one of the reasons, cause there are a lot of skinny guys out there that need a bit less drag to keep the fall rate with the heavier ones.

Fashion: Evolution of skydiving has made us jumpers look for something more fashionable. Now is not just about jumping from a plane. You also wanna look nice up there and this days less fabric looks nicer than baggy.
In my opinion.

So many people might have though about this that the have started getting a bit tighter suits.

Im shure that fall speed has also changed a bit with this, but... if we all go with less drag fall rate will be the same. Not the speed, the rate.

Suit Material: There are a few diff. materias out there. some are used for heavier guys the only thing I dont like about some thick materials is that most are cotton and cotton fades faster than nylon.

For me the best material overall for FF suits is Supplex or Taslon.
Taslon is light, strong, it breaths pretty good. Keeps odors out the door and dries preety quick.

I might be crazy in this one but....

Example Im 160lbs, my wife is 120lbs I always had problems flying with her cause she falls slow and I fall pretty reasonable.. On the fast side.

Now Im wearing less drag but.... I have mesh inside my Taslon suit.

Since my suit is thicker cause of the double layer fabric, the flopping of the fabric is much slower, this creates more drag and my fall rate changed enough to have a better fall rate to keep up with my wife with out struggling

I dont know much about this, but I felt it since the first jump.

If you think im wrong, just go Baggy. and forget all I said.

Just giving my opinion on this one, some people are just too heavy or big for this OK.

One more thing: less drag = smoother and easirer movements of your extensions while falling fast.

Julio/LSS
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

when you have alot of drag, say on your legs and you try to spread your legs out to fall slower, you cant get them out as much, due to the force, as you can when you have a less baggy suit. with less drag, you can use your body more to fly.

In the past I have built my own "suits". Ususally, a pair of pants, with material added to form a bell and then an elastic cuff. Its cheap and works ok. I have also built a couple pairs from scratch.
What I have found is too much "bell" creates difficulties. Especially when the bell in around the lower leg during sit flying. Youre forced to compensate with other parts of the body.

I finally ordered a new suit from scratch. My own colors and measurements. I hope that I will be able to better fly my body, not fight my clothes.

So basically, Im saing that a suit too baggy can hinder you somtimes more than helping you.
IMHO. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865