Foursprouts

Stopping an orbit

Hi
Can anyone tell me how to stop orbiting whilst head down, it feels pretty stable but I cant stop quite a tight orbit. Any info would be great,
Thanks.

1) keep an eye on the horizon/ground;

2) jump with someone who is better than you because that person will tell you in freefall if you're orbiting and that person will be able to tell you if your body position is wierd.

that being said, andrea has a good point in that if your profile is correct, you should be learning how to fly a sit. the reason is that it gives you a stable freefly position to learn other things safely, such as flying hd. the potential exists for you to collide with and seriously hurt yourself and someone else from a botched head down attempt whereas, in a sit, you can't achieve the same horizontal velocities.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

13 jumps, still a student, in the BPA...... hmmmmm
Either the profile is bunkum or you are still on your consol jumps for your A, at best 5 jumps off AFF - sounds like a strange time to be learning headdown..........
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Hi
Can anyone tell me how to stop orbiting whilst head down, it feels pretty stable but I cant stop quite a tight orbit. Any info would be great,
Thanks.

Right ON keep up the good work! Working on your head down before you even have an A license sounds kick ass! NOT.:S
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

dude your going about freeflying all wrong. you dont even have a solid belly foundation yet and your trying to fly hd. thats fucked. i will not help you because you dont have the proper approach to learn freeflying. the only way you can know your orbiting is if there is another freeflyer with you. that person should be ripped a new asshole for taking you fflying! as an instructor i cant believe your coach or whatever you guy's complete your training with would do this! i dont know where you jump bro but if this kind of shit is allowed, your dz is fucked too! what your doing is dangerous and you should rethink what your attempting. freeflying can be fun and very safe but you have alot to learn.
goodluck you'll need it.

If you want to call bullshit your friend that is up to you. I have not updated my profile in a long time and have since got FS1 and FF1 (bpa people will know what that is) and because I work on the DZ and get free jumps there are a lot of times when I jump by myself and want to try new things as it is boring doing the same thing over and over again. In reply to someone else, I know I am orbiting because I can see the horizon spinning round about once every one or two seconds and my head is pointing downwards, you don't need someone there to tell that. I asked the question because I wanted to know if anyone can give me any pointers and the first guy did, thanks. To the sherlock who went back over my posts and found out that I post about aviation well done you figured out something, I am not sure what but well done anyway. Don't worry, before you go telling me about how I can track up the flight path and kill people by going into their airspace I have already been told that and how to avoid it by an instructor at my dz before I attempted it. Did some back flying and back tracking today,do you want to tell me off for that also?

Edited to point out that with only 1400 jumps don't you think a velocity 96 with that wing loading is maybe a bit much, you will probably end up hurting or killing yourself or even worse someone else by colliding with them close to the ground. Good luck, you will need it.

...and my head is pointing downwards, you don't need someone there to tell that.

"head is pointing downwards" is a little wishy washy.

"Headdown" is Headown, you'll know the difference when you nail it.

And yes, you will need someone in the air with you to figure out what you're doing wrong.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

if you dont like what your hearing then update your jump #'s! how are we suppose to know how often you jump and when! your shit says student! and students got no buisness on their heads! so are you a student or not?

sorry you think 1400 jumps isnt enough to fly my canopy. well tell me in your infinite wisdom what is? i do more jumps in a day than your whole carrer.

if you want to get in a pissing match id say your a lot more of a hazard thinking you got it all and trying shit you have no buisness trying, than me under my wing.

have a nice life orbitting around the sky bro,

Foursprouts, you have to understand that we get trolls on the site all the time. Your jump numbers and asking about head down scream that you could just be another troll. It's hard to take someone seriously in that situation and it is why you haven't gotten very many serious answers.

If you do a better job at updating us on your experience, then you will probably get some better answers from people who will base their posts on your skill level. No one wants to contribute to giving someone ideas that might get them or someone else injured.

This is also a warning not to get into a pissing match with anyone in the forums. If you have a problem with someone, take it to the pm's.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"Edited to point out that with only 1400 jumps don't you think a velocity 96 with that wing loading is maybe a bit much, you will probably end up hurting or killing yourself or even worse someone else by colliding with them close to the ground. Good luck, you will need it "
>
>
most focused canopy pilots are jumping 2.0 w/l way sooner than velo-96. sounds like your really reaching on that one dude.
i dont know why your all pissy, your bio says student and your asking about flying on your head and being able to tell your orbiting without a reference. no wonder people are thinking this is a joke. if your jump info was updated this all would have played out totaly different!!! you would have gotten good advice and a have a nice day instead. why dont people understand this simple concept!

and p.s i also jump a velocity 96.
>

You have 13 jumps in 4 years and you're practicing head down?

Ever stop to think that your comment was perhaps a catalyst to his demise? You really could have said what you did in your second post to begin with. Just a thought.

Ever stop to think that your comment was perhaps a catalyst to his demise?

After I wrote that, he should have posted a reply to correct his experience level. I was giving him an opportunity to make things right from the get-go. By not answering, it made him seem even more like a troll.

Trust me, I've been told by other skydivers that their very experienced friends will make up a profile in a drunken moment and ask trolling-type questions just to see what kind of responses they will get while they sit at their computers and laugh.

In addition, if he did come back and tell us that yes, he has 13 jumps but his instructor says he's really good (who hasn't met someone like that?), then I hope that people who posted to the thread would encourage him to have more jumps on his belly then try doing a sit before attempting head down.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ok sorry for being a dick, I should have clarified my experience a bit more. But what is the point of ripping into someone who is asking for advice on a forum, if they are doing something they shouldn't be don't you think they have already asked instructors and have been told not too and that is why they are asking here. Whatever you say is not going to help if it is negative as they have heard it before from people they know and you are just writing on the computer, what chance do you have in making someone think "ok they are right I will not do that anymore". It would be far better to be encouraging and say things like, are you turning 90deg to the flight line before attempting that. Are you controlled in a sit as that is the first step? Rather than saying you dick your dz is fucked. When I am turning I am not head down, I am angled slightly with my feet away from the center of the circle I am turning around, that is why I thought I was orbiting. I asked as I want to stop doing it. Picking point on the horizon worked and yes it was a point that would take me away from other jumpers.

You're right, the post you are referring to could have been phrased differently to stress the importance of being careful. I know an experienced freeflier who was coaching someone on a jump, the student collided into him and now the experienced guy is paralyzed. If it can happen to him, it can happen to any of us and that is why I want to make sure people aren't trying to get advice here on skills that they have no business doing yet.

Now to get this thread back on track now that we know you have experience, if anyone has advice on how to stop an orbit, please post to the thread.

Now to get this thread back on track now that we know you have experience, if anyone has advice on how to stop an orbit, please post to the thread.

An orbit is a combination of two things, a drive directly towards the target, and a drive 90degrees to that. To orbit on purpose is to drive towards the target and constantly "miss" it, so to speak.

Not clear as to wether fourspouts is Orbiting, rather then Spinning, wich would be a rotation about the longitudenal axis. This is hard to tell as a solo jumper.

Either way, if you are solo, symmetry is going to be your best friend. Keep your eyes on the horizon (ONE spot on the horizon) and keep the body symmetrical throughout.

Fourspouts, if you know it's an orbit and not a spin, then know that you are creating two imputs, forward and sideways. It might benefit you to consider them individually. IE focus on stopping forward motion and your "orbit" will become a "spin"... then focus on stopping the turn..... OR focus on stoping the turn and then you will be only moving forward, then stop the forward.

I suggest stopping the forward motion first, ending up in a spin to correct, as that is easier to perceive/detect then forward/aft motion is on a solo headdown.

I hope that makes sense.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I think (without ploughing through the whole thread) that the OP mentioned being at a slight angle, which would certainly suggest that some forward (or maybe backward) drive was involved. Continuing the 'feel the air' theme from another thread, a jump or two spent looking at the horizon and 'feeling the air' would straighten out which of the two it is.

I found when I started (like that was a long time ago!) that entering HD from my back, I tended to 'stall' at a steep but not vertical angle. Entering from a half-cartwheel (as well as being more 2-way friendly) I would more commonly end up vertical. Once I got more accustomed to how it should feel I was better able to detect that there was something wrong (if I was slightly on my back, driving forward) and correct it, just by the smallest deflection of the upper body.

My secret HD training tool is... a gym treadmill. When you've been running a while and your legs are going on autopilot, lean your head and neck forward a fraction - forward you go. Now backwards... That'll be 20 quid please. Next week, practice sit in a swimming pool with inflatable arm bands on your feet.

John