jakee

Back tracking

I posted a similar question to this about normal max tracking in the RW forum but I reckon this should be the place to ask about back tracking.

I've been working on back tracking on a few solo dives recently and feel that I've had a few major improvements recently but I know that there is much more to come. I led my first tracking dive on my back for my 200th jump recently and was really encouraged by the results.

I tried to keep a low fall rate with reasonable forward speed and flew with a pretty flat body, neither arched or cupped, and had my legs straight out. The problem I ran into was that I can only get my arms back to within about 40degrees of my body in that position without tipping head low, so I wasn't going as fast as I wanted too. The feedback I got was really good - solid, stable, predictable and with a decent glide.

I went out on a solo back track last sunday and finally managed what felt like a proper all out back tracking position, a big arch at the hips (lots of float) let me push my arms in and down right next to my body without tipping head low.

So after all that I think what I'm asking is does anyone have any general tips on max back tracking, and how can I get my arms into my body for fast forward speed in tracking dives without arching for a really low vertical speed and outfloating everyone (I fall slow). Anything on head position would also be appreciated, this is something I'm willing to spend a fair few skydives getting better at.

Thanks!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

One tip i can give if i may that really helped me after some jumping with Steve Curtis was concentrate on minimizing air flow spilling through open surfaces on your tracking body.

What i mean by this is why trying to achieve a max back track position, flatten your body while pushing your hips up(which you stated this in your question and this is true) extend your legs straight, while pulling your thighs, knees, calves, and feet together (this minimizes air spilling through), and even use your thigh and calf muscles to really press at the air, all while pointing your toes to catch air with that surface as well.

This may take some getting used to as you tend to want to keep your head looking towards your feet. Try and lay your head back while keeping a visual by pointing your eyes, so you maintain the flat positing with the upward arch in your hips.

There is much more experience out here, but hopefully this helps somewhat and isn't too confusing. It helped me quite a bit. Blue skies

A-ron:)

I went out on a solo back track last sunday

Congrats for the back flying, it's what I prefer...
But please avoid doing it solo, specially when you are learning. Please always ask someone (with sufficient tracking abilities) to be your belly down reference.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Congrats for the back flying, it's what I prefer...
But please avoid doing it solo, specially when you are learning. Please always ask someone (with sufficient tracking abilities) to be your belly down reference.

I do understand your concern but I was finding it fairly easy to find references to track away from and hold my heading. Of course this probably means my head position was totally wrong (looking past my feet) for efficient tracking.

I will make an effort to find people to track with me though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If you feel you have a slow fall rate, jump in a tee shirt and shorts, or something tight. When you begin back tracking the secret is all in the position of your head, neck and shoulders. You will never go into a dive if you bend your head slightly toward your stomack, experiment with another jumper on his belly. As for your arms, you can fly easily without your arms, try placing them with your palms down over your waist infront of you, you don't need them for stability, then bring them gradually to your sides, it's very delicate, all in fine tuning. Remember a back track is the same as a belly track in reverse. If you are on your belly tracking, and you bend your head up, and bring your shoulders back, you will never dive. When you get that on your back experitment to go faster forward to find the sweet spot. you will feel it and hear it when you have it. Play and have fun, and a lould audible is mandatory, you can check your altimeter on your back, it will read a little higher than you actually are.
Tim
SCR-21

Jakee, there was a good article in the mag a while back about tracking dives and body positions, you can read it here.

Don't be afraid to tip head low! You can counter it somewhat by being agressive and really pushing down with your feet but that's where you will find the smoking horizontal speeds. What you really want is to brief the chasing trackers to get ahead of you so you can tip your head right back and still see everyone. Like Tim said, head position is critical.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com