Zoter

Head Up Carving......

I'm just not getting the shots I want head up as my carving technique needs some improvment.
Care to share your techniques for carving
(in a sit/stand) around a subject without too much fall rate change...?

All input appreciated.....what works for you ?

:)

Hy ho,

I'm not a very experienced freeflyer but just pushing one arm down worked for me, so if you push the left arm down, you will carve to the right and visa versa. Just keep facing the guy you're carving around to not slide to the side.

This has worked for me... You'll notice no change in fall rate.
This is not very fast though, you'll need to change the symentry of your legs aswell to go around faster... This needs alot of practice....

This is just the way I do it, I'm sure there are alot of people with better technik, which they can share and I'm also eager to read.

Blues

Try this.

Face off with your partner in a level sit. Keep the arms where they are as to keep stability and control. then slowly start pushing into the center with the hips with both of you pushing down harder with, say the right leg.

Imagine pushing the right leg down and into the center point.

you can regulate the fall rate issues with the upper body (Arms, shoulders and back of head).

to speed up the carve just be more aggressive with the hips remembering to reduce your surface area by pushing a little more with the other leg and losing the arms a little.??

Hope fully this will induce a right hand carve.

Tip. start off slow! remember a carve is just forward movement with a constant turn.

Hope this helps out.

Where did you read that? In the skydiving mag? Good advice, but you can't do it can you!

;)

Like Andy says and.....
I start it with a slight side slide then try to have forward motion with constant turn.
Keeping legs down and leaning back with hips forward.
This will ensure fall rate is unchanged and forward motion is easier. (remember when you move you slow up a litte - forward motion requires a little more vertical speed in the position to compensate for the increase in body surface area presented to the air)

Don't forget to imagine a center point and your 'imaginary orbit / circle' to work to.

Good luck this weekend too Andy, go dominate mate!