Costyn

Side flying?

Hi,

There was a thread about tracking feet first, and was thinking of other strange positions which might be able to be flown stable. So, I was thinking that perhaps flying on your side would be possible? It would be a fairly fast position (not very many horizontal surfaces: side of your body and bottom leg), but I imagine you would be able to carve around someone in a sit, perhaps even stick out an arm to take a dock?

Anyone ever see anyone do something like this? Any video available? Was thinking of trying it out next weekend, but if others have tried & failed (there might be fundamental reasons why it doesn't work), then I won't have to bother. :)
Cheers!

p.s. oh yeah I searched the forums but didn't find anything that looked relevant.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I posted about this vry subject quite some time ago....can't remember what it was called, run a search.

You'll surely find something on side tracking if you run a search as well. :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

It's done quite regularly in Freestyle. Some where on the site here and in Skydive Arizona ads in last years(?)Parachutist there is a picture of our own BBarnhouse flying on her side.

EDIT to add pictures
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Side-flying is a REAL bitch. It is a valid freestyle position. It is scary for tandem. It is not easy. I've done some unsuccesful attempts. Big lesson learned. Do not open on your side.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,