WrongWay

ZP on freefly suits?

http://www.matterclothing.com/eng/products_matrixffsuit_eng.htm

Don't know what to say about this....I have no experience with that type of suit, but it sounds a little strange to me. :S:D

Anyway, what's your take on the use of these types of materials on FF suits? What would be the ups and downs?

Come on guys, we need something interesting to talk about, this forum is dead! :ph34r:

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I have no clue about the Matter suits with ZP, but my Ouragan tunnel suit is made from ZP. Basically it gives me a lot of lift with less drag than a baggy suit. I've worn it in the sky doing fun hybrids - me freeflying with belly flyers without having any of us struggle.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Sometimes I like to freefly in my birdman pantz and a long sleeve T. For sure it's a ton of drag. Really helps when trying to get head down. What I don't like about it is that it is so flimsy it flaps around like crazy. Also ZP doesn't exactly breath very well. So on a hot day you definitely don't want to be walking around in it.

I can only speak of my tunnel suit and experience, and what ZP does for that. I don't think it will be totally off topic however, I may have something to add.

My tunnel suit is ZP for less baggyness (if that's even a word) and more lift. I love the fact that I don't have a suit smacking me in the face (SV tunnel suits/Tony Suits hurt sit flying!), plus the Ouragan suit makes my butt look great ;)

The ups: added lift (which is why my WHOLE tunnel suit is made from ZP).

The downs: added lift (for someone my size in the sky that would not be a great thing).

Nice post, sorry I only have tunnel input to offer but it is first hand info. on flying a ZP suit. Hope it helps a little.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

How does it give lift? My camera suit is almost entirely ZP on the front, wings and all. I need the smooth ZP for speed! This is a tight suit though.

Here's what Cedric from Matter had to say on the concept for that suit........

I have read your post about zp on freefly suit and let me answer your question:

The first reason is for freefly competitions.
As you know, there are compulsory jumps with flatflying and therefore they need zp on chest and thighs, just like a good old RW suit.
The second reason is for track jumps or atmonauti jumps.
The zp cuts the air like a knife and gives you extra speed, which means extra lift in steep tracking dives.
We have also add some lycra inserts to elbows and knee articulation for full flexibility and padded knees for comfort.
We believe that it is the evolution of the freefly suit.
What today might be a concept for competitors might be the suit for all experienced freeflyers tomorrow...

So there ya go!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I wore an Ouragan suit last night for the first time and I loved it, .ZP rocks. A little different then my instructor suit. So it took a few minutes to get use to it but I loved it. I will buy a Ouragan suit as soon as I get some extra cash.

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

Some wingsuit manufacturers are makeing "wing" or tracking suits to fill a gap between just body flight and true gliding winged body flight.... Like Pantz and the partial winged upper-lower suits.

It sounds like some of the freefall suit designs will close the gap from the other side.

How does it give lift? My camera suit is almost entirely ZP on the front, wings and all. I need the smooth ZP for speed! This is a tight suit though.

At least in the case of the Ouragan tunnel suit that I wear, the ZP gives the suit a tremendous amount of lift without needing as much drag. My tunnel suit is still more baggy than my shy suit, but barely. It is no where near as baggy as the suit provided by the tunnels (or any other tunnel suits that I've seen.)

As far as HOW it does that, I'm not exactly sure. You could email Nancy from Ouragan Suits and she could explain it all.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

So basically it's a shit ton of extra drag without having to fight material? Not bad! B|

That's not how I read it. Only parts of the suit are done in ZP and they are the parts where you don't want the extra drag. From the site:

"..Zero Perosity layers for speed on chest and thighs."

Most of the suit is made up of honeycombed polycotton and the stretchy parts are lycra.

The suit looks pretty sharp! It would have to be made to order and would make a shitty second-hander though because of there is any "flap" in the chest and thigh ZP areas, I imagine it would throw your flying Waaay the hell off.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!