skyjules

headdown

The last couple of jumps I did, I focused on perfecting my tracking. I think I was sticking my butt out so much that I put myself into headdown. So then I tried it again and again. I couldn't really hold it but I had so much fun anyways. It felt like I was going so fast.

Do you think this is good way to practice getting into headdown?

I might also try arching while on my back to get headdown, do you think that will work?

***Free bird Forever

Hey this is just my two cents so feel free to ignore it....if your wanting to learn to fly head down the best way to go about it, sorry to get boring and repetitive here, is to learn to sit fly (ideally with a coach), then move on to head down (ideally again with a coach).

The reason that you learn to sit before you start on head down is just as arching onto your belly is your recovery position when your flat flying, sit flying is your recovery position for head down, as it allows you to remain in a vertical position and keep your speed on. The method your trying while I won't say is wrong sounds to me like you will inherently create bad habits that you will have to unlearn later (e.g. arching while head down etc).

It is definetly possible to go out and learn on your own and you may be a complete natural, but even if that is the case a coach will vastly shorten that learning curve.

Enjoy and be safe...B|
gordy

Not to preach here bro, but trust me, at 49 jumps you don't want anything to do with head down. Spend a couple seasons on your sit, get really proficient at it, THEN try head down. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I am currently practicing my sit. I know it's important to learn that first. My main goal right now is getting my A liscence, but since it's getting colder, I don't have many opportunities to fly with a coach, so on these fun jumps I love to track and when I put myself somwhat headdown from this, the speed I felt was awesome, I couldn't get enough. So I tried it again and again. Your probably right though, I should practice my sit more. ;)Thanks

***Free bird Forever

to be honest, I think some practice is needed in the air as a flat flier before you even think about going into a head up or head down flight.

Going to sit flying with minimal jumps is dangerous until you have mastered any sort of standard flat flying as you need to understand the problems in fall rates or over cooking forward and backward movements - at least when doing it all flat it can be more unforgiving that doing it at the speeds freeflying.........

dont rush things, dial in the skills flat first, then try out sit fly, then when you have dialled that in then try head down............

dont be in a rush.............. rushing can hurt people.

I'm one of those freaks who thinks you should learn to sitfly first too. BUT... if you do use this method, or any other method, to try to learn headdown, make sure that you are not flying into someone else's airspace. This is so important!! You are more than likely tracking all over the sky, maybe in circles, who knows... and you don't want to end up tracking into another group!!

Good luck and may the force be with you. :P

ever heard somobody say skydiving is 90% mental and 10% physical or something to that effect? headdown takes a certain level of awareness and with 49 jumps you have way to much sensory overload going on to get a grasp of it. keep your head upright. right now that is what feels most famaliar. work on your breathing and awareness of both everything around you and what your body is doing at all times. once accomplished at the these two goals on every jump, you should be relaxed enough to begin working on headdown.

i also recommend perfecting a basic sit + 360 degree turns first. as well as waiting until next spring or summer when you can practice multiple jumps a day. winter in canada is not the right time. a jump here and a jump there will do you little good. instead spend those jumps jumping with your friends and increasing your overall level of awareness. good luck.

I would just like to say that while I was practicing this, I made shure b4 I went up that there would be no interference with other groups. Besides we're jumping out of the cesna right now and was usually the first one out, not to mention they were tracking dives away from the other groups, if any.

***Free bird Forever