Andrewnewell

movement in side fly/ track, how?

Hey everybody,

has anyone got any suggestions on how to move back and forward in the side track orientation, with out falling off onto the back or front?

Is there a standard position that is adopted that increases stability while attempting to move in relation with another side flyer? I tend to have to move a lot with the legs to stay on the side.

Cheers

Ah, someone else into sidetracking.... Nice !!! :)

When sidetracking, I keep my groundside arm in, and my legs together, with my skyside arm up. I open my legs to adjust the angle (open them to go more headdown).

To move forward and back, I simply bend a little bit at the waist.

If I want to cover large distances, I balance between side and back tracking. Takes some practice.

EDIT: btw, should we come up with some name for this... Atmonasty???? B| (please, no special name...)

I don't. I have a tiny bit of video, but it's only on my camera at the moment.

Adam (my teammate) and I have done some sidetracking together, but he was without a rig for a while, so he haven't done that many together.

I've done a bunch of solos. It's very fun. Balance is a bit hard at first, but slowly transitioning from back to side is the way to go. If you rush the transition, you'll most likely flail it.

At first we speculated that the whole body would be more like a V. Arms and legs. However, this puts you more headdown. When I did solos, I experimented, and found it much better to keep the legs together, and downside arm in.

When Adam and I did a few 2 ways afterwards, he did it the old way (open V), and I definately outtracked him, as well as stayed flatter. You don't go as far as a back/front track, of course, but you definately get some movement out of it.

Great fun for sure...

Also, I find myself using it in short bursts when with others (small groups). Lots of side/back (inbetween) tracking to sideslide :)

When you say open your legs do you mean daffy style or straddle? I'm assuming you mean like daffy but im not too sure.

No daffy involved at all. Basically, I keep my legs together, then open them up into a V (straddle) to go more headdown. But for the most part, I keep my legs closed...

I have a vision,, but it is atmonauti related, could not be done in a normal track due to burbles

Has anyone ever flown a 4 way with a font flier/Back flier and 2 side fliers all docked to form a kind of square?

It would look like a 4 way star headdown but at the angle so would last a lot longer and would look way cool

I am new to atmonauti but if anyone who jumps at Hinton \ Netheravon is up for trying this let me know.

I can fly the angle on my front and hold a heading so would be able to navigate?

Atmonauti Baby

Jezz

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

Yeah, anythings possible.

always thought it would be cool to do that sort of thing un linked and then rotate the "box". A sort of four way atmonauti carve?!

I dont think your gonna get much practice in the UK now the seasons over. but Id still love to have a go at it, maybe next year.

You should come out to Lillo over Xmas, there should be some scope for trying out some intergrated angled flight.For details check out freeflyeuphoria .com ;)

I am off to empuria for christmas hopefully there will be some angled flight there,

Trying to get a few people involved at Hinton, I did some jumps with Marco and Gi at Langar and am stoked on Atmonauti

Jezz

Hinton Skydivers

It's possible, especially if launched. However, sidetracking tends to be faster vertically, and slower horizontally. At least, that's my personal observation/speculation. I've switched to side while my teammate was backtracking, and did start falling faster...

EDIT: I suppose an alternative would be to have 3 people on their back, 2 come in and dock on the middle, then turn sideways. THis would start pushing the middle person (still on their back) faster. Then last person, if they perhaps come in on their side, get a single dock, then close it up. Sounds possible, and cool :)

Was just thinking of this thread when I saw the latest pictures from the X-fest

So it shows what we sit here thinking about other people are out there doing.

It is an awesome time to be a skydiver

Jezz

Hinton Skydivers

btw, I believe in one of the Flyboys Film Festival videos (if that's indeed where I saw it), there's some video of a team (I forget who - camo freefly suits, one of them runs tunnel camps, etc.) doing some side tracking together.

They do it differently then what I've tried - their's looks a bit better, though. They have their arms/hands in front/back of them, as opposed to the side. Also, legs are sort of scissored, providing more surface area.