Skylark

If Booty's give added stability, why don't freeflyers wear them?

The idea of booties for RW is not to give added stability, but to create more pressure on the legs so that there is more air deflection from a leg input and therefore faster movements.

This added pressure on the feet makes it very difficult to maintain a sitfly position. If you are not very strong with your legs then the wind will cause your legs to fly up causing you to end up on your back.

Standing is not very difficult with booties providing that you have a very good and straight stand and can get into it quickly.

Headdown is no problem with booties and is actually easier because of the added drag on your legs. It would be very unsafe to try to learn HD with booties if there are other people around because if / when you lose stability on your head it will be very difficult to bail to a sit fly and will greatly increase your chances of corking.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

The idea of booties for RW is not to give added stability, but to create more pressure on the legs so that there is more air deflection from a leg input and therefore faster movements.

That's what I was gonna say. B|

Plus, they'd look really goofy. :D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Pics......must see pics..... :D:D

I could just see that....you're doing four way and when everybody else leaves the tunnel you crank it up and start transitioning.....:D:D:D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Pics......must see pics.....

I don't have any, but I know there's video of me flying HD in the tunnel with my RW suit. I think the people who have the video are back in Wisconsin or something like that by now though.

I will definitely try to get pics at some point though...
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

"Re: [Skylark] If Booty's give added stability, why don't freeflyers wear them?"

Freeflyers use tubes, kinda like a tandem drogue to keep them stable.....
:P
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I can do a sit in my RW suit, but since it's the only freakin' suit I have I don't have a choice unless I want to wear street clothes. I just roll the booties in (kinda like the 80's jeans roll in reverse) and they work ok. I haven't noticed any probs in sit at all. The suit has grippers but otherwise looks like a Freefly suit (eg very pimp) and not a skin tight dealio. Makes it hard to keep up when I do a RW jump, but it works for both. Just .02 from a cheap bastard (that's alot).