rocketdog

how did you learn head-down???

Well, you should have come down last month with the whole gang. We were doing 10-13 loads a day. And when it got windy, we went to Key West in the Otter instead. :P Oh well, theres always next time.

Ian, Jim will be in Deland tomorrow for some bigway HD's.

Heads Down.
Ok here's how I did it . Watch the movie "Cutaway" with Berenger and Baldwin about 10 times. Don't laugh, there is one scene when Turbo and Vic (Vic blacks out for a few seconds) are racing to the 8 way. Watch it closely, Baldwin goes right from belly to heads down. Burn that shot into your mind. Next step go jump, make sure your the last freeflyer out before the Tandems, give plenty of separation. Fly a stable belly , from there , go into a track (but don't look at the horizon, look at the ground) That should bring you 3/4's of the way heads down. To finish it off bend at the waist while letting you feet come over the top , open your legs up a bit and feel the air. Most of all relax and let it happen. Stay perpendicular of jump run. Maintain altitude awareness and be sure and go back to belly and slow down before throwing out.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!

i was trying to avoid paying for a coach, and as of now, there are limited opportunities for coaching.

i will try to keep this plethora of info. in my brain on my next attempt @ head-down
....NOW IF ONLY WE HAD THE WEATHER TO JUMP!

;) later taters!

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

hey hollywood, you know me I've been spending a gazillion dollars on coaching and stuff, something thats free that I do alot are head stands and visualisation. You can work on putting your legs and hips in neutral, forward and backward positions. With your legs in the x position while standing on your head when you put your legs back to initiate forward movement you at the same time rotate your hips forward to maintian balance. And the opposite when practicing backward motion. All this transfers into the air and is a good free way to start to build a little muscle memory and make your actual jumps more productive. Visualise practice jumps and imagine how you think the jump should feel. Many great athletes use this, just watch any awesome 4way or great FF routines, those of us who are learning may not be doing the crazy stuff they are but it helps in all the little things we need to get our bodys to do. I haven't put much time on my head at all, but hopefully will be working at it more soon.

I know of two guys there that could help you out though. Good luck

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of feet first typa jumps. Cartwheels, forward/backward movements, front flips and back, etc.... Body awareness is a big factor IMO. During your free time, stand on your hands, it helps ;)

I'm just getting into it myself and was given this same advice. I'm thinking that transitions are the basis for good FF skills. Going from sit to stand to headdown, etc. Get the transitions out of the way, then you might have to jump once or twice less in the day and pay someone to assist you (unless you can find someone with the experience to coach you for free)!:)
Good luck.

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

I worked into it over a fairly long time. I was a competent sit flyer............once I got that I started trying HD OUTSIDE formations. I stayed FAR away! But......I learned the basics of forward and backwards movement. Over time I got better and better. Started doing 2 ways eventually and moving ever closer to sit flyers. Many Solos in between.....working on 360 degree turns and transitions. I remember at about 100 or 110 jumps I went on a 2 way with one of the AFF/I's from SD Atlanta. I basically tried to take him out as I ZOOMED forward on a transition from a sit. I got mad and paid for the only coaching jump I have ever paid for. I went out with John Pinyon who proceeded to review the video and tell me how AWESOME I was to ONLY have 110 jumps. :D I did quite well on the jump with John but I was still mad about my occasional zooming problem. Oh well....I worked it out. If you watch the video in my signature that's all between 200 and 300 jumps. I guess I figured most things out except for the Spock of course. :D That destroyed my camera. If you jump anywhere near me, I'm no Sky God free flyer, but I will be more than happy to jump with you! I give back! ;)