StevePhelps

HD question

I did a search for HD orbit and did not get enough info so I'll ask here. On a recent HD solo (most of mine are as this small DZ is a primarily a RW DZ) I "think" I stuck a pretty good (stable) HD, BUT I know I was orbiting quite a bit as I saw the horizon come around ... a lot. B|

What causes orbiting?

If you were doing a solo, it's pretty hard to "orbit." It was probably more of a turn. Orbiting is usually refering to a two way that going around each other. Almost like carving, but unintentional.

Are you flying a side by side or a romeo hd position? Often times having a slight twist in your torso will cause a turn that you will either have to counter with your legs or straighten your torso.

As a new freeflier it is hard to know if you are actually stable or not without a reference point (another jumper) I'd try to take a trip to Texas and hit some of the DZ's there and jump with some more experienced jumpers. The guys at Skydive Dallas (team vibe) are some really nice guys are good jumpers. Of course you've also got the Anomoly at Spaceland (Free-fly open silver medal.)

There are many things that could be it.
First thing that caomes to mind is legs, then hips...
Also possibly your arms may be giving input you are not aware of.
Beginning HD is alway difficult to tell...

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

It's definately tough at a small DZ. I was just having this conversation at the Mardi Gras Boogie. Another DZ.commer complimented my video and was kinda shocked by my SMALL number of jumps. He's from a 182 DZ and the learning curve is SO much slower in that situation. I have been ABSOLUTELY lucky in being at the right places at the right times and gotten to jump with some truly amazing flyers. I'm pretty upset right now after seeing what a winter induced 4 month lay off has done to my skills. [:/] This living in Cleveland, OH bullshit has GOT to go!

I'm pretty upset right now after seeing what a winter induced 4 month lay off has done to my skills.

you arent kidding...after flailing for 2 HD dives, i knew i needed to get some professional feedback....a few jumps with Jeffro and Dusty did amazing things to help me get dialed back in and find the nice comfortable spot i could move around on my properly again....

Coach jumps are the way to go...you'll likely spend waaaaaaay to much time picking up bad habits trying to learn HD on your own without a good reference point and some constructive critique of how efficiently your flying your body...

get coaching...cant say that enough..get coaching...you dont have to pay for the professionals if you can work it out otherwise, but at least get someone who is more stable than you to chase you out and fly base (with video if possible!!)