goose491

My first HD vid

Hello all,

Silvere was kind enough to host this vid for me. I'm pretty excited to share it with you finally and hopefully get some valuable pointers should anyone have 'em.

This was jump number 126 for me, in August. About my 10 attempt at head down. The coach is Glen who posts here from time to time as Glencannon (he had done a writeup called "Gettin' down the tube for beginners") He was very helpful and got me to stay in close proximity on my own.

Please check it out, any comments are welcome/encouraged as I've seen very useful input come from posting a vid here in the forums.

Enjoy!

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

You seem nice and relaxed and that is one of the most important things for a successfull headdown jump. Try flying your legs a little more and maybe the arms as well (though I understand he may have had you purposely leave your arms limp). Other than that, pretty good for your 10th attempt.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

That looks really good for your tenth attempt. Like C said - relaxed is good, slow movements. You are really flying nice and smooth. Now just start fukken with different flying surfaces and you'll be rockin in no time at all...

Come on good weather!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Very nice seeing that it is your tenth time on your head...

I noticed out the door that you both had a small orbit, which is comon for people when flying on their head in the beginning. It looks from the video that your coach was trying to show you this at the end of the dive. This was after he gave the signal for legs out. Which was good, you can see that you pushed them out more and stopped the orbit for a while.
Towards the end of the video I get the impression that you continue orbiting while your coach picks a a point so you can see him as a reference to the movement you are doing in the air.
Check out the video again and watch the back ground, it has a slight turn to the left as you watch the video.
I am simply giving you pointers on what you can focus on. But in the end a really good body position, nice and relaxed and no corking, also seems that you aren't back sliding or driving...

Nice...

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't told to leave the arms limp per say... but to keep 'em semi-rigid, straight out to the sides. I had a tendency to have 'em out in front of me a bit (my hands were always in the bottom of my peripheral vision). This had a tendency to tilt my body so that my legs would be slightly back. It gave me a forward tendency wheras I understand one of the most common error is backsliding.

Glen had me stand infront of a mirror with my arms relaxed and at my sides. He told me to push them straight out to the sides and not forward or back he provided slight pressure on them from behind me simulating the air resistance I would encounter... then he turned me sideways in the mirror and got me to memorise what "Head, on top of Neck, centered on shoulders with a straight back" felt like. Major distace was to be covered with legs and up close and personal (small) movements would be made by moving my head slightly back and forth.

You see once I am hapily face to face with him, I stick my chin out slightly to move towards him, then move my head back a bit to stop it and move away from him. (this is where you see the 'ok' sign) I do this three times before he presents a hand for me to dock on. MY PRE-SECOND!! :)
Anyone see how I shoot off to the left (of screen) after releasing it? I take it it's due to the position of the left arm that I threw back... any suggestions?

I noticed out the door that you both had a small orbit, which is comon for people when flying on their head in the beginning.

Very Cool! Yeah, right out the door there was an orbit. When we release grips, we are facing one another parallel the long beach. I was orbiting him (to my left). When we are perpendicular the beach, he gives me the 'legs' sign and I manage to stop it abit. However, the inputs for the orbit were still there: We attribute this to my left arm. During the entire jump, it seems that I stick my left arm out less then the right, allowing the right arm to push me to my left. I've figured that likely, I was focusing so hard on maintaining that certain level of air resistance that he had shown me on the arms but because of the alti on my left, an equal amout of pressure on each side would require my right arm be put out further. Does this make sense? Also, you'll see my harness slip slightly off the left shoulder (:o) wich didn't help.

Towards the end of the video I get the impression that you continue orbiting while your coach picks a a point so you can see him as a reference to the movement you are doing in the air.

By the time we are parallel the beach again (but opposite, i.e. he's done a 180). I am no longer orbiting him but my left hand seems to be constantly working to maintain it. The dock was not planned, I was to approach then back away three times but as he saw me praticing putting one hand forward and one back on the ground, he presented his hand when the dive was going well.

Anyway, after the third time, he would turn 90 degrees and I was supposed to present him a shot of me from the side... well, I blew right by! lol, turned around and came back to give him the side shot right before breakoff.

I am simply giving you pointers on what you can focus on. But in the end a really good body position, nice and relaxed and no corking, also seems that you aren't back sliding or driving...

Much appreciated :)

So I have watched your video now around ten times...

You and your coach are right regarding your arm and body position. Try and imagine this with me; You have your left hand/arm forward a bit more than your right hand/arm. My interpretation of this is more from your shoulders and their position. this might explain why your harness suddenly shifts to the left which again I noticed after you said something.
If you slightly rotate your right shoulder to the back a little while moving your left shoulder forward a little it makes an uneven surface for the air to flow. You are now sort of like a rudder moving through the air in a downward spiral (what we call an orbit).

I am over exaggerating the movement but up there at 13 K and 160mph, small discrete adjustments have rather large implications.

Luckily you are being introduced to head down with good habits.
Your arm position with palms down is a very good habit to have. Too many people fly palms up trying to hold themselves in the air, looking to deliver a pizza. Very poor habit, tends to make people fly with their chest and not their legs...
Remember your upper body is exposed to the air first so it has the initial input on how the air will flow over your body, your legs are then used to keep you stable as you fall through the air stream. People say we fly with are legs because we are correcting what we initially feel is happening with our upper torso with our legs and feet.
That is why in the beginning we try and keep the upper body as relaxed as possible so you will have an easier time learning how to control your movements using your legs...

Best thing more and more two ways...

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

If you slightly rotate your right shoulder to the back a little while moving your left shoulder forward a little it makes an uneven surface for the air to flow. You are now sort of like a rudder moving through the air in a downward spiral (what we call an orbit).

I can visualise... I can SEE it in the vid now that you mention it B|. Thanks a lot for the input, it will most definately prove useful... unfortunately only in visualised jumps until the weather 'round here allows otherwise :(.

I've seen the Pizza delivery style... Did a couple solos doing just that, bringing my hands up as far as eye level to feel the difference... don't like it much though. The next time I'm doing HD solos, I'll be moving my hands around alot like clapping the in front and behind... pretending to pass an object from hand to hand around my body... presenting docks to nobody... Sigh... soon.

Blues, Thanks again.
Nick

nice vid
I saw vid of people with 20 or more HD and it did not look like your HD. ;)
personaly I still have problems with my sit fly but i'll get there someday.
:P

...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return...
blue sky
Asaf