partyboy

How to keep a mobile, yet stable position..?

I have been doing some solo head down jumps lately, and I am a bit too fast with just the wide leg, 'V" shape and arms out to the side. I tried to do a " scissor" like leg position, as if you were standing up on the ground with one leg out in front of you, while the other leg is back, and I bent my knees a bit, will this allow for a slower fall rate, or umm, yea, what am I trying to do with this position..PartyBoy;)

Up High!!

I've been working on the same thing. Although I'm an experience FFer, its almost all been headup, now I've got some time to really work on my HD and although I hit it and I'm stable, I'm SCREAMING through the sky, averaging between 200 and 275mph (SAS). So, as told to me, go daffy, go BIG and start working your arms down a bit to get more drag going. I already have an uber-baggy suit as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

RELAX RELAX RELAX!! The more you "grab" at the air the faster you'll fall. Force yourself to breath which will help you relax.
You can be mobile with the daffy or romeo (one leg in front and one in back) but you'll find you'll have better success later on flying a side by side. Work on you flexibility which will allow you to get biger in the air.
Lastly have a experienced jumper video you on a jump, you'll be amazed the difference in what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing. At 160 lbs you should have NO problem slowing down even with a tight suit.
Alot of it comes simply with jumps.
Hope this helps
D

I just realized that you're in NC. Not trying to pull you away from your DZ, but I'm at The Skydiving Place, in Parkton, NC. Come over and we'll make a jump and see if we can get you to slow down.

RELAX RELAX RELAX!! The more you "grab" at the air the faster you'll fall. Force yourself to breath which will help you relax.

EXCELLENT POINT. Couldn't have said it better.

You can be mobile with the daffy or romeo (one leg in front and one in back) but you'll find you'll have better success later on flying a side by side. Work on you flexibility which will allow you to get bigger in the air.

Also a good point. Some bigger people (200 lbs or more) get into a habit of learning to fly daffy before they learn to fly a basic straddle position. While this satisfies some, it's much less manueverable, and it'll be much harder to learn the basic hd position when you finally do. At 160, you should have NO problem getting slow. Get coaching. You probably have lazy legs.

IMHO, best way to catch air is common sense, simply put as much into the wind as possible, right? Well, if ya learn the "correct" way to fly your legs (I use "" because there really is no correct way, just some ways are easier to fly than others) then you catch lots of air just because you're presenting all the surface area to the wind as is possible in a straddle position, also giving you a good habit cuz you're flying a very efficient position.

Just imagine standing straight up on the ground. (look in a mirror) Now push your ankles out so your feet are pointing forward (or VERY slightly out, not like a cowboy). Spread this as wide as you can. This should create a small, but noticable, natural bend at the knees. It may feel weird at first, but fly it for about 50 jumps and you'll love it. TJ Landgren taught me to fly like this, says it's the most efficient and precise way of flying straddle, and dude, you better believe it. This is how you'll see most of the top freefly teams flying today.

DISCLAIMER: Pay no attention to my avatar, it's a BAD example of what I'm talking about, I just like it cuz I had my tux on. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I agree, get coaching. I have several hundred freefly jumps, and I still go and seek out knowledgable coaches.

As for having problems going slow, it comes with experience. A good exercise to develop muscle memory for flying side by side is to get two of your friends, to stand about shoulderwidth+1 foot apart.
get between then, and put each foot next to their foot, with their foot outside yours. Now try to push their feet out with your feet. You should feel your butt and outer thigh muscles tense. Hold that for a minute, pushing as hard as you can. That is the feeling you want in the air.

Good luck.

Another answer is always a higher drag suit, but I bet it is body position more than too little suit.