WrongWay

Transitions

When doing full transitions on your head (i.e. flips/weedeaters), do you usually tuck in all the way (as in hands around your knees) or do you just leave your arms close to your body but not totally tucked? I've done both, and seen the big guys do both on vids, but I'm not quite sure which would be the "correct" way of doing them, if in fact there is one, and it's not just a personal preference. Any ideas?? B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

It depends on where you want your center point to be.

If you are in a sit and you want your head to be the center of the rotation, then let your legs catch air and your body will rotate around your head.

Bringing your limbs in tight will bring the center of the turn more towards the center of your body.

Does that make sense?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I just did 3 coach jumps with Dave Brown this weekend and my transitions were a small trouble spot for me. He suggested me keeping my legs tucked up a bit longer and not opening up to quick (if I am explaining that correctly[:/]).

I would be in my sit, get almost half way around and start opening up....nope....stay a bit tighter with hands more to my sides and not "grabbing" for the air. It's all about the legs FOR SURE with head down transitions.

Man do I know that know....ankles, ankles, ankles....thumbs, thumbs, thumbs :)
One coached jump is worth a million bucks - wish it hadn't taken me so long to figure out!

xo, D

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

The way my teammate and I do them is as follows:

To start, instead of just torquing the lower body thru, we actually put one hand above our heads, and tilt the body slightly to one side, then push off the air slightly, and rotate in the opposite direction.

While going thru, we remain tucked, but the legs are at a 90 to the body, and lower legs tucked in pretty well under the upper legs. Tucking the upper legs too far into your stomach will put you on your back.

As we go thru, 1/2 way thru (while we're headup), we do what we call the "rear spank". The same hand that we pushed off with to start, we put out to the side, and slightly behind. THis keeps you upright, and keeps the rotation smooth (non-torque based).

The thing that makes this work well is when doing double or triple carthwheels - this is where good technique separates. Bad technique will get you thru a single. But doubles and triples require your body position to be good, and to not be torque based (use the wind instead).

Check out our docked triple cartwheels here (quicktime required) - click on the video button:
http://www.ozonejunkies.com/tricks/colonrobber/colon_htm/trick_colonrobber.htm

www.ozonejunkies.com

PS. lest you think these are easy, well, they may look it, but they're not. We spent a season on cartwheels. Yes, a season.

Check out our docked triple cartwheels...

Dude, those are awesome!

I've just done singles to transition to headdown and vise versa. I pretty much torque my body right or left and let my lower legs and feet catch air. For the transition, I cock one arm slightly inward from my sit position as I begin the cartwheel. As my legs catch air and I become inverted, I bring my arms back up presenting them into the air again.

----------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, cheat death. If you steal, steal a woman's heart. If you fight, fight for a brother. If you drink, drink with me.

Dude, those are awesome!

I've just done singles to transition to headdown and vise versa. I pretty much torque my body right or left and let my lower legs and feet catch air. For the transition, I cock one arm slightly inward from my sit position as I begin the cartwheel. As my legs catch air and I become inverted, I bring my arms back up presenting them into the air again.

I strongly suggest, once you're feeling comfy with single cartwheels, go for a double and see how you do. Once you can hit a double or triple, your technique should be pretty clean, and you'll have no problems with singles :)

Dude, those are awesome!

I strongly suggest, once you're feeling comfy with single cartwheels, go for a double and see how you do. Once you can hit a double or triple, your technique should be pretty clean, and you'll have no problems with singles :)

Aha!!! I wondered how double and triple cartwheels worked!! I knew there was no way it could be done all torque, but had no idea how it worked. SWEET.

Also, back to my original question, let me elaborate.
Let's say I'm on my head, about to do a front or back loop. Should I tuck in with my hands around my knees, or leave my hands out a bit while I tuck the rest of my body in? Both ways IMHO are easily done, I just don't know if there is a "correct" way or if one just looks a little prettier than the other. Any opinions, OJ? B|

PS- I wrote it in my other thread, but I'll post here too, docked triple cartwheels? SWEEEEEEEEEEEET. B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

I guess I need to read a bit better. Missed the part about your hands. No, we don't bring them in, in fact we keep them out, much like a layout (front/back loop, but legs straight). Difference, of course, is that we're tucked at the legs. For headdown backflips, as we're coming out of them, we open up at the legs, and momentarily put our arms more to the front (not completely in front, but probably 45 from the shoulder). And bend at the waist momentarily, to bring the legs forward. This works well for stopping the rotation quickly, and not over rotating and ending up on your back again.

Again, as soon as you're feeling singles, go for those doubles :) With the singles, you miss the intricacies of the rotation position that allows you to continue rotating. The goal is to be able to do as many consecutive rotations as you like. No need to stop at triple, if you're feeling it :)

SWEET. B| You answered my question perfectly, thank you!! That's what I usually do, is keep my arms out, tucking my legs in, but I wasn't sure if that was the correct way or if I should have been tucking my arms in too. Thanks bro!! It's VERY appreciated!! B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.