Levin

Skydive Houston - Fastest Man Contest - This Weekend

The Fastest Man Contest has been re-scheduled for this Saturday, October the 4th. 1st place wins a plaque, free Pro-Track, 100% off Firefly freefly pants and a full day of free jumps at Skydive Houston. 2nd place wins a plaque, free Pro-Dytter, 50% off Firefly freefly pants and 5 free jumps. Third place wins a plaque and 3 free jumps. Contest runs all day. Your entry fee is your jump ticket. Only requirments are a secure container and audible altimeter. For more information contact Levin at [email protected].

Levin
AeRodeo Freefly
vSCR#17
www.freeflyers.com

I heard you were only taking the max speed?

I'm wondering why you didn't do it like the comps across the pond that tend to use the overall average, etc. The max alone can be confused with burbles (as can it all, but that can be really determined with a graph done in jump track).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

1st place was Donald McDavid with a max speed of 320mph. Donald won a plaque, free Pro-Track, Free pair of Firefly freefly pants and free full day of jumps at Skydive Houston.

2nd place was Thomas McDow with a max speed of 310mph. Thomas won a plaque, free Pro-Dytter, 50% off a pair of Firefly free pants and 5 free jumps at Skydive Houston.

3rd place was Doug Dickie with a max speed of 307mph. Doug won a plaque and 3 free jumps at Skydive Houston.

Thanks to the sponsors for the prizes. Glad everybody had a good time. Be looking forward to something even better next year.

Levin
AeRodeo Freefly
vSCR#17
www.freeflyers.com

I heard you were only taking the max speed?

I'm wondering why you didn't do it like the comps across the pond that tend to use the overall average, etc. The max alone can be confused with burbles (as can it all, but that can be really determined with a graph done in jump track).

I used max speed last year and it worked pretty well. Thomas wore 2 on one jump and they both read the same (270mph). Mark VanDyke wore won for fun on a freefly jump to see if a max speed was possible from a lower altitude. Although not entirely safe, at 7k feet he shot down away from the dive and achieved his best speed of 295mph in just a few seconds. Since there were only 8 competitors this year and only 2 had tried a speed dive before I figured max speed would be more fun. The software would be helpful for the contest but I didn't have a copy available.

Next year the "Fastest Man" contest will be a state wide league with 4 or 5 meets. It will be modeled similar to what the folks across the pond are doing. 2 Pro-Tracks, average speeds, Jump-track software, more prizes including $$$.

Levin
AeRodeo Freefly
vSCS#3
www.freeflyers.com

ARG!!!! I was only able to jump on that Friday, working on the weekends SUCKS!!!!

EDIT: Hey I think I met you on Thursday Levin. I was the dood with the shaved head taking the packing class with Tammy. I tried on your rig for a sec to if I remember correctly.

Next year the "Fastest Man" contest will be a state wide league with 4 or 5 meets. It will be modeled similar to what the folks across the pond are doing. 2 Pro-Tracks, average speeds, Jump-track software, more prizes including $$$.

folks across the pond will be having one of the meet next year in the US. why not combine and play
together ? speed skydiving has already rules and organization, why have two different competition if
we can get the best divers together and compete ??

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

When and where is yalls competition? What I have in mind is a state league consisting of probably 5 meets with the majority of the prize value going to the overall league winner. Dallas and Houston are 5 hrs apart. I think anymore travel time than that would be less practical for competitors to travel to 3 of 5 meets. I agree that in the end the best way to achieve an ultimate goal is to work together. But for what I'm trying to do, I think the complications would outweight the benefits of integrating one of the "Fastest Man" competitons into another that is out of state and structured slightly different. But I will stay open minded to the idea as well as any other suggestions.

Levin
AeRodeo Freefly
vSCR#17
www.freeflyers.com

The Fastest Man Contest has been re-scheduled for this Saturday, October the 4th.

Hi Levin! I'm sorry I missed this event - I was looking forward to participating. Coincidentally, I departed town for a week-long hiking and camping trip in north Texas, the day before you announced the new date... Drat!

Those are some incredible speeds from the winners. Wow!

John Rich

one of the meets will be in orange, ma (jumptown.com), it's 70 miles west from boston. the
rest will be in europe. if you would like to join the discussions, we have forums at http://speedskydiving.proboards19.com/ - you're welcome to join us. travelling is
an issue, this year trips to europe costed me so bucks ... :)

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I'm sorry I didn't let you know sooner. Kinda hard to plan for it after being re-scheduled twice. I made a quick decision between that weekend and another after Nationals with shorter and colder days. You'll have most likely 5 chances to compete next year. I think it's interesting to note...

1st place - Thomas 292mph - freeflyer - 165 lbs
2nd place - John 250mph - style jumper -250 lbs

1st - David - 320mph - bellyflyer - 250 lbs
2nd - Thomas - 310mph - freeflyer -165 lbs
3rd - Doug - 307 mph - freeflyer - 160 lbs

2 freeflyers, 1 stylist, 1 bellyflyer. I think that definetly says you don't have to be a freeflyer to go fast. But on the other hand if your not a freeflyer, extra weight may help.

Levin
AeRodeo Freefly
vSCS#3
www.freeflyers.com

I'm sorry I didn't let you know sooner. Kinda hard to plan for it after being re-scheduled twice.

It's not a problem with me, I just wish I hadn't had the bad luck on the timing for my trip. I know you had a lot of difficulty scheduling this event around all the other special skydiving events going on in town. We are fortunate to have so much cool stuff to keep us busy. And I'm just glad that you are going to the effort to start yet one more cool thing for us to do.

I think it's interesting to note...
1st - David - 320mph - 250 lbs
2nd - Thomas - 310mph - 165 lbs

The dramatic thing I notice is the extreme weight difference, yet the tiny speed difference. Big guys don't have an automatic advantage in this event, as one might expect. Despite an 85-lb weight "advantage", David only bested Thomas' speed by 10 mph, or 3%. It's all about tuning your body to minimize drag. Everyone can compete here, without handicap!

Contrast that with RW, where the big guys are always worried about going low, and the light people have to pack on lead weights to keep up. In this event, all of that is irrelevant. :-)

You allow them to wear weight? Or are you referring to extra body weight?

i was actually just poking fun at the belly fliers that won. they are heavy enough that they naturally fall faster. but in answer to your question, yes, if they want to wear weights they can. but to my knowledge no one that has entered so far has worn weights.

Levin
vSCR#17
www.freeflyers.com