wildWilly

Freefly Dive pool

If you are talking about moves in competition. I am not the right person to talk to regarding this post but it looked so lonely without a reply. :S

So for an example - http://www.txsl.com/ff_info.php The Texas Skydivng League - Freefly event in Dallas, June 28-29, their pool is listed below or visit the web site.

League Compulsory Moves
Upright
• Sit Knee Dock
• Sit Hand to Foot
• Sit Hand to Hand
• Double Upright 360 Turns
• Upright Carve (360 degrees)
• Sit Over-Under
Mixed
• Half Eagle
• Spock
• Joker Handgrip
• Half-69
Belly
• Belly Cat
• Belly Star
• Belly Compressed

Nationals 2002 - http://www.omniskore.com/comp/2002/nats/2002_nats.htm
Freefly Open Compulsory Sequences Draw:
Rd 2: Double Joker-180-Reverse > Eagle > Double Head-Down Carve > Rock-The-Cradle
Rd 5: Vertical Compressed > Double Spock > Sole-to-Sole >Double Dock Head-down > Totem

Freefly Interemediate Compulsory Sequences Draw:
Rd 2: Double-Upright Turns > Half-Eagle > Sit Over-Under
Rd 5: Head-Down Hand Grip > Sit Knee Dock > Spock

I hope this helps.
;)

~AirAnn~

OK not trying to hijack this....But here is a little story.

Back about 10 years ago there was a group of freefliers including Orly King trying to get me to freefly, and stop trying to do 4way.

The conversation was basicly about how freeflying was well "Free" and that it had no (Other than saftey) rules....
I didn't change, though they kept trying....

During a dirt dive my group was doing they were mocking us...saying how we always were in a rush to do points...

Then they started to dirt dive...One of them said "I'll Spock you"...I steped up and said "You will do what?" He said I am going to Spock him, then we will flip, and he will Spock me....."

I said..."So, you are turning points?"

"No" they said...."It's different"

I told them the next thing they know they will have dive pools, and be racing against the clock just like 4 way guys...

They all laughed at me.

Man its funny to see a "Dive Pool" now.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

That is the freefly divepool for 2002. The totem and the eagle have been removed from the divepool.

The most recent freefly divepool (2003) can always be found on the FAI website: http://www.fai.org/parachuting/documents/

Addendum A contains the divepool.

There's also an Illustrated Divepool available as a PDF file on http://www.vertigofreefly.com

(Direct link= http://home.tiscali.be/vertigofreeflyteam/freefly_divepool_2003.pdf)

Bye!

I said..."So, you are turning points?"

"No" they said...."It's different"

I told them the next thing they know they will have dive pools, and be racing against the clock just like 4 way guys...

They all laughed at me.

Man its funny to see a "Dive Pool" now.

I've heard numerous stories like this from back in the day. Most of them also involve Orly, who was perhaps little to vocal about what freefly was and would be back in the day.

Anyhow, while it is absolutely essential to have compulsory moves, or dive pools in order to have competition, I do feel that in a sense, competition kills off creativity in the sport.

When RW began, it was new and fresh and rife with possibilities. Now that sequential 4/8/16 way has pretty much become the standard for RW competition, it has reduced those possibilities to a finite series of moves that need to be worked on to the point where you are shaving seconds off of the same repeated maneuvers. Nothing wrong with that - it requires great discipline and skill, but when it comes down to new folks saying, "what can we do on our bellies for this dive", the options to an extent have become a little more limited.

The same thing is taking place in freefly. And competition to a degree reduces the "free" aspect of "freeflying". This isn't necessarily bad, and ultimately, by combining all possible flight modes we have a much more diverse pool of "points" we can turn on a highly skilled recreational dive that have yet to be explored. Also, freefly competition is not finished evolving. It is currently categorized as "artistic" which leaves some room for expression in routines, but there are plenty of vertical competitions that can be judged absolutely, as specific points performed in specific time.

Pylon Racing and 4way speed are some very good competitions that can be judged absolutely rather than subjectively. They may never get entered into the IPC but as vertical skill improves, it is likely that we will see competitive events that involve larger teams.

And competition to a degree reduces the "free" aspect of "freeflying".

This is the reason the Gravity Rats Competition is all free rounds. IMHO compulsories are good, but have the potential for killing the reason I freefly.

This year - with free rounds - intermediate flyers were sit carving, doing totems on a buddah sitter, orbitting around standing helicopters, sixty-nineing a chick doing the splits, stand tracking out of frame, etc.

That's what its all about. B|

my 02. Please take with codiene.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why