jsfreefly76

freefly camera

I am looking for some advise about Sony vs JVC. I have been looking at JVC's dvp3 and dvp7 because they are so tiny, but everyone at my DZ says go with sony. Why? They never have that answer.
Is there anyone out there who has owned a JVC and has had problems?

The first camera I bought was a JVC DVM50U. The camera was OK for ground stuff, but was total shit for skydiving. I ended up buying a sony 2 months after I bought this. Plus, the eject mechanism thingy broke, so I had to send it in for repairs. The things dont hold up in our environment. I've been jumping my PC9 for about a year and a half with no problems whatsoever! Spend the extra cash and get a sony.. Hope this helps.;)

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

I asked the same queation and i was told that the others shake/vibrate too much. I have watched video of one jvc and it is annoying how much vibration there is. I do not fly camera so take this with a grain of salt.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Whaasszzzzuuup?

Hey man, you can find TONS of information re: cameras n stuff in the Photography forum. From all Ive read and seen at the dropzone, Sony is the way to go...A million Chinese cant be wrong! Good Luck!
Blue Skies!

Bought a JVC b4 the pc style cameras were really in use on DZs. Had nothing but issues with it on the ground and in the air. Got my Sony PC9 and have NEVER EVER had ONE issue with it even after watching my buddy lose it off of his helmet at one hundred feet.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Sony because a JVC shakes like hell.

Yup, I get shake on my JVC DVM-80. Also, the JVC's do not have a LANC port so you can't use a CamEye II with it. Also, if the camera shuts off or goes into standby you have to reset the focus back to manual from auto.

I will be replacing it with a Sony as soon as I can afford it.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I did about 150 camera jumps using a JVC GR DV1. Basically, this was one of the first small cameras and a lot of the early freeflyers used this camera. It was okay as an inexpensive way to see if I liked flying camera, but there was a lot of tape flutter (I had that thing taped up well). The Sony's are far superior in picture quality. That alone is reason enough to use them.
-Rap

JVC's do not have a LANC port so you can't use a CamEye II with it. Also, if the camera shuts off or goes into standby you have to reset the focus back to manual from auto.

This is obvious JVC experience! My JVC has over 2000 jumps on it. It is the one that came out before PC-1s. It works fine and I got a good deal on it. It is not as user friendly as a Sony.

Hey dog, I have about 100 jumps on a jvc dvm76u...I have no shakes to speak of and have had no problems, ground or air... If your camera shakes, use more tape on the lens...it is probably not supported enough. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to have the veiwfinder pulled out for the camera to run, and if your risers smack it back in the camera turns off. Easily fixed with gaffer tape or double sided velcro. Now, the big question...are you making money back on your investment? To simplify that, is it worth the extra cash to buy the best when the best isn't needed. My dodge gets be to work as fast as my neighbors cadillac. Something to think about. ;)