vidiot

Poll: Your Average Fallrate

My theory is that if you fly headup and headdown at around the same speed, you could transition from one to the other without yo-yo'ing too much.

There's gotta be an ideal compromise speed where it means you're not too maxed out headdown that you can't use your arms to dock, and not too maxed out upright that you can't do anything cause you're going so fast.

It just seems that people (including me when I get sloppy) tend to fly a sit with lots of bum and arms instead of with the legs and feet, which is a more upright position, and thus faster.

Take a look at the March2003 Parachutist pic of alchemy...alaska jon and swanson are doing headdown ...Rook's upright. take a look at Rook's legs..they're extended and not in your typical "chair"

Cheers!
Glen.
"Spread your legs and fly"

All speeds are TAS, and I'm a total ProTrack whore:

Belly: 127

Track:
Delta:
Just swim trunks: 118
Pants and longsleeve shirt: 105
Freefly suit: 98
Flat:
Just swim trunks: 103 :)
Pants and longsleeve shirt: 87
Freefly suit: 76 (have sustained under 70 on a few dives)

Freefly:
HeadDown: 170
Stand: 170
Sit: 155

Wingsuit:
GTi:
Backflying and aerobatics: 68
Flocking: 58
Solo: 52
Skyflyer: 46
Skyflyer 3:
Backflying: 62
Flocking: 50 - 55
Solo: 30 - 44 (really depends)
WS/canopy RW: 39
Swooping: 160 - 0 (shuts the ProTrack off)

Speed: 240 (only did a few, 247 was my best)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

RW: 130mph
Sit: 150mph
HD: 170mph
Speed: 274mph

Damn close to 200lbs w/o gear. Last 20 jumps working on slowing down HD / fly daffy.

i just found out recently how inaccurate ProTrack is for speed dives when placed inside
of the helmet. i went to england for speed skydiving competition and since i was given
two pro-tracks which were placed on my harness, i had to move my own from harness
to my helmet just to log my jumps. with maximum speed about 260-ish on harness
pro-tracks my helmet one showed 307 mph with the lowest speed (in track while slowing
down) down to 23 mph :) i can also get about 200 mph in regular track if i move my
head side to side :)

my fastest so far with pro-track on the harnes was 291 mph.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

What's the world record for a speed fall?

Also...how do you do one? I make my first jump on Saturday, so I realize I'm a long way off from trying something like this, but it sounds pimp. Lemme know. Thanks.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

My average speed tends to be whatever the other person sets it as. :S Being a not-so-big chick (not teeny tiny, but not as big as most of the freefly dudes) I think I have a pretty broad range. I can go fast to keep up or slow down with the floaty sitters. :)

Fall in dove.