Skitzo

Looking for sit advice

bend the knees a little less.

It seems like a lot of people like the '90 degree angles' thing, which snowflake mentioned. Do you disagree w/ this advice for beginners? Also, I like the 'head up' way of thinking about it. There doesn't seem to be a reason to differentiate between sit and stand any more than you would between a pin and a straddle or daffy in a head down.

So yeah, that makes sense.
Ted

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Had exactly the same problem. Legs weren't 90 degrees so air hits the shins and pushes you backwards, same time you're trying to stay upright so you bend forwards at the waist to compensate and the air hits your chest and you backslide even more!!
Coach told me to adopt a really proud position - puff my chest out, head up, shoulders back a bit and look forward at the horizon. Worked a treat.

Legs weren't 90 degrees so air hits the shins and pushes you backwards, same time you're trying to stay upright so you bend forwards at the waist to compensate and the air hits your chest and you backslide even more!!

Thats exactly what was going on. Are you sure you weren't attached to someones helmet on that last jump w/me?:D:D
-

"How do you keep your feet on the ground when you know you were born to fly?"

Yes it did. :)I also decided to lose more drag on the bottom and went barefoot. I was able to get my legs where they are suppose to be and keep them there. It was awesome!
I think my smile was so big it was touching my ears! I'm still smiling about it.:)
Thanks everybody...;)
Kim........aka..........Kimmie

"How do you keep your feet on the ground when you know you were born to fly?"

*well I'm no expert* ... but some advice that helped me fly in a good sit position was to be aware of the relative wind on your head ... if you are leaning foward too much, and perhaps looking down, you will feel the wind pressure on the front of your head ... and the opposite is true if you are leaning back. Let your back and head find the position where there is equal -- and little pressure on the front and back of your head!

I heard you shouldent go HD down before you can sit, is this a rule????
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

no, but it's a good rule of thumb. your sit is your safety position in case you ever loose balance and feel like your gonna cork. even though sitflying is the harder of the two positions to learn to fly it is the easiest one to learn the basics of. hd is much more efficient and easier to fly once you get it down but it is much harder of the two to learn the basics of simply beacuse you are upside down and it initially feels akward. it takes a certain level of awareness in the air to successfully learn hd. the key to that level of awareness is jump numbers. the more jumps you make in a shortest amount of time possible, the quicker you'll get there. i see alot of people with around 100 jumps trying to learn hd. i think they would be better off spending that next 100 jumps working on their sit and then trying to learn hd. so in answer to your question, no it's not a rule to learn to sit first but it is a good idea.

levin
vSCS#3

Also, it's easier to maintain altitude awareness in a sit because you can usually see your altimeter a little easier (if you're flying palms to earth in both positions) , and you can see the ground in a sit, which you really can't HD. Most people go slightly slower in a sit too, so the consequences for not giving enough time to slow down, or having a premi are a little less brutal. Generally learning to sit first is a little safer, until you get the awareness Levin was talking about.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

First the bad news:

I had to leave the DZ today after only one jump to go to work (where I am now). [:/]

The good news:

I was able to stay in my sit for the entire dive today for the first time (oops beer). It was sweet. I guess now I have to work on doing this virtually every jump as well as trying to work on my fall rate and possible sliding problems. Then I'll work on doing flips and cartwheels and getting back into the sit. Once I'm good at all of that, it's head down time (though I have cheated and done two head down jumps already). But I'm trying to concentrate on becoming a stable sit flier first. :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over