Skyhook and camera's

Alright guys and girls I need some input. I recently obtained a Vector 3 equipped with a skyhook. I've been jumping camera for a couple of years now, and on a previous rigs never jumped with a RSL (these were not skyhook equipped rigs, and the rigs didn't have an RSL to begin with).

A few years ago the general thought was to not jump with a RSL for fear of an entanglement. Has this changed over the last couple of years after the skyhook came onto the market? And if so, how and why has this changed, what is behind the change in thought. Would you recommend leaving the RSL shackle attached while jumping camera's on a skyhook equipped rig?

I thought I read somewhere that canopy choice also played a part in whether to leave the RSL shackle attached on a skyhook rig.

Depends.

What type of camera? Mounted on side or top? Mounted how? On what helmet? Etc..

My opinion when I bought my rig was that a skyhook would be a waste of money since I was going to jump with camera and have the RSL unhooked.
Now I regret not buying a skyhook because I have the RSL attached all (most) of the time anyway.
I spent time on making a etanglement less likely with better mounting options.

My advice is to try to 'eliminate' snags and then try to create a snag on the ground.
Then decide if you use RSL or not.

I've got a Tonfly 3x camera helmet. I'm using a RCB-LAB Zkulls Overkill bracket to mount the camera's to the helmet. I'm topmounting a Sony CX camera. I've mounted a GoPro on the front of the bracket. The helmet is equipped with a ringsight.

I've tried to eliminate snags as best I could, but there are some points on the helmet where things can snag.

I'm feeling too lazy to go find the links to some discussions that have good videos on this subject, but here is what I have found and the reason I DO use a skyhook and I DONT use an RSL (with the obligatory...if in doubt use an RSL...recommended by uspa...better odds of saving you than hurting you etc. etc. etc.).

Most likely mal for me based on my gear is a spinning mal. This often results in having to chop while spinning on your back due to where your 3 rings connect. In this situation, most of your airspeed is coming from below you. Many many many videos will show that if you pull your reserve pin (manually or via RSL) on your back, your reserve deployment happens UP, not OUT. Meaning, having your reserve PC/lines/etc come up next to your body, and contacting your head is not uncommon. Having that gear on my head, I'd rather not risk a snag, and since I pull a little higher, it makes more sense for me to NOT have and RSL, be very altitude aware, and have that extra second to at least roll over.

In the same situation, after watching many SkyHook spinning chops, because of the canopy acting as an anchor point, even with airspeed from below you the deployment happens OUT, more than UP. I didn't see any footage with the skyhook of the reserve deployment coming under an arm, or touching the jumpers head. The centrifugal force and attachment to the main caused the deployment to happen on an angle, and not perpendicular.

TL;DR- The way reserves launch in spinning mals on a RSL vs how they launch with a skyhook made me choose to use a skyhook with camera, but not an RSL.

michalm21

You know it's called Skyhook-RSL right?

Yes

If you're using a Skyhook you are using a RSL as well... There can be a situation where Skyhook will disconnect from the bridle during cutaway and the rest will resemble a standard RSL cutaway.

Correct.

So I'm just a little puzzled by what you wrote - not attacking you in any way. You said yes to Skyhook but no to RSL. But Skyhook can become a normal RSL in certain situations. And that is okay for you?

FYI - I have a Skyhook equipped rig and my only cutaway so far was a standard rsl reserve deployment on a spinning mal that had me on my back

michalm21

So I'm just a little puzzled by what you wrote - not attacking you in any way. You said yes to Skyhook but no to RSL. But Skyhook can become a normal RSL in certain situations. And that is okay for you?

No attack/offense taken.
For me it comes down to a numbers game. There are situations where any of our gear will fail to work as designed. From AADs, RSLs, MARDs... There are also situations where they will work as designed, and may not act or do what we the jumpers might prefer them to do.

Based on my own observation from watching spinning chops come down with the freebag attached to the main, I feel that the skyhook (or similar MARD) will most likely work the way I want it to in that situation. I understand that isn't 100% a sure thing. I also feel that the odds are in my favor enough that it tips the scales for me to make my safest/best bet to be using skyhook, while choosing not to use a standard non MARD RSL.

FYI - I have a Skyhook equipped rig and my only cutaway so far was a standard rsl reserve deployment on a spinning mal that had me on my back

Statistics say you are better off having it than not. It is a personal decision for sure. For me...I'd rather have a chance of my last parachute not flying past a helmet with 3 cameras/snags all over it.

As I remember, it was not an RSL activation, but we did lose a camera guy this year to an entanglement during spinning mal breakaway.

If you a re in any doubt, I say use an RSL/MARD. I'm just giving my reasons for jumping in the configurations I currently jump in.
My info is free, and worth every penny :P