npgraphicdesign

Is the GoPro3 worth buying?

Have all the kinks been worked out yet? Saw and read quite a few complaints on FB and some camera groups, but all that mixed in with positive comments as well. Has anyone here gotten one and used it extensively yet?

Also, are the GoPro3 mounts the same as GoPro2?

And in case anyone is wondering, I'm using my GoPro2 for winter sports right now. Not skydiving. So don't give me any crap about "...well you don't have enough jumps to jump with a camera..." because I know that. :P Asking about a GoPro3 because a friend is buying them in bulk and I may be able to get one quite a bit cheaper. Tempted, but not sure if it's worth it.

Mounts are the same. Housings are different.
Unless you buy a GP3/Black, it's not worth the extra vs buying a GP2, IMO.

Most of the bugs are worked out, and if you're simply looking for video of skiiing, you'd be happy with either one.

Mounts are the same. Housings are different.
Unless you buy a GP3/Black, it's not worth the extra vs buying a GP2, IMO.

Most of the bugs are worked out, and if you're simply looking for video of skiiing, you'd be happy with either one.

I'm in the same boat as the op but I did get a GP3 Silver for Christmas. Like the op I have never jumped a camera and I still have a bit to go before I do but I have watched friends for the last year on the dz setup and jump there GP's. I have been using mine for skiing the last month and there are two things that stand out to me as being better geared toward jumping between the older GP's and the newer ones. Take this with a grain of salt though, like I said I have no experience jumping a camera.

1. The GP3 is 20% smaller, it doesn't sound like much but when you put the two side by side it is quite a bit. Still a huge snag hazard but better none the less.

2. The wireless feature is built into the camera so that you can now use the gopro app on your phone. I have noticed quite a few people on the plane playing with their GP's on the way to altitude, people second guessing where the thing is pointing and re-adjusting all the way till the red light comes on. I use my GP3 for skiing and this feature takes a lot of that guess work out of it. I frame the shot first and then forget about it for the rest of the day while skiing. For this reason I think the GP3 silver or black if you want to spend the extra money is worth it over the GP2 for jumping. Sure you can add the wireless backpac to the GP2 but then you have made it much larger, refer back to reason number 1.

While the camera is a bit smaller, there is no less effect of "line snag." It's still the same geometry ad has the same hazards. The wifi connect to your phone works well for framing the shot, but using the remote I've found doesn't work well in the sky. In fact, it actually adds more complexity and I personally stopped using it after a few jumps. K.I.S.S. is the best thing for jumping. Adding wifi remotes that need to be charged and link up to the camera seems to fail more times then work. Perhaps when gopro cleans up the firmware a bit it will be better, but right now its a complete failure of a feature. The RED light on the remote doesn't even blink and it takes a few seconds to react to it actually recording all while you are shitting your self vs. worrying about the dive and safety. (again a reason not to jump these too early)
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Yeah the remote is a waste of time and money. I "thought" it would be a good idea so I bought it extra with my sliver edition, stupid me :( I played with it the first night at the coffee table and it's sat there ever since. I just use the app to frame the shot and then forget about it. On the ski hill I will use the phone app to turn the camera off when we are on the chair lift and then back on again/start recording at the top but I think if I were to jump it I would only use the app to frame the shot and then go back to the old school way of pushing the physical button before exit, like you say K.I.S.S.

Slightly different opinion here.

I've had three gopro3 blacks and each one has failed and had to be returned.

If I hadn't bought a zkulls mount whilst I was waiting for the first one to arrive I'd have given up after the second one failed...

Still waiting for the replacement on my third camera...

When the second one was working I was following one of my mates (n the mtb) he crashed right in front of me but the camera switched off right at that point. I kid you not - you can see the front end tuck but then the gopro just stopped recording. It started again next time I hit record so who knows what happened.....
Jump more, post less.

When the second one was working I was following one of my mates (n the mtb) he crashed right in front of me but the camera switched off right at that point. I kid you not - you can see the front end tuck but then the gopro just stopped recording. It started again next time I hit record so who knows what happened.....

Perhaps it got scared and closed it's eye ;)

Blue Skies,
Jason