VanillaSkyGirl

RE: Oxygen Full-face helmets - Quality? Experiences?

I have a small head size with long hair, but I have protruding cheek bones and full cheeks. (I needed a custom-fit open-face.) I have tried on both the Z1 full-face helmet and the Oxygen full-face helmet, and the Oxygen is a much better fit for my face/head. I also feel less suffocated as my nose seems to have more room in the Oxygen. Are there any other full-face helmets that anyone would recommend I try before I buy an Oxygen?

Please let me know any issues or concerns about the Oxygen helmets. How well do they last? What is the vision and hearing like in the Oxygen? Is it still easy to hear the audible when it is on the outside? What is their customer service like? What are the differences in quality that others have had who have used both the Z1 and the Oxygen helmet?

Has anyone had any difficulty in getting used to wearing a full-face helmet? Do you flip up the visor when under canopy? Any other thoughts about full-face helmets? Thank you.

The only full face I've tried is the factory diver (apart from BRIEFLY trying a Z1). I like it fine, actually it fit me better than the Z1. You can get custom fit kit for sky systems helmets, which are really nothing more than cushiony padding. Just try a whole bunch on, I didn't, but got lucky in that the factory diver fits me GREAT! But no flip up visor :(

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I love my Oxygn A3. You might hear that visor can flip open, but the ONLY times that has ever happened on mine is when I was a dumbass and put a replacement visor in wrong.

One thing I would recommend is finding someone who can put a snap where the velcro is, especially if you plan on taking it in the tunnel at all. The velcro will wear out quickly, like any other piece of gear in the tunnel (it's harsh on gear).
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I've had my Oxygn for several years now and I like it quite a bit. The only issue I've had is the face shield. It is treated with some sort of (I think) anti-fog coating that, in my opinion, can be a real annoyance. If you get an Oxygn, pay attention to the face shield cleaning instructions, because if you simply try to wipe it with a wet cloth or paper towel, it will create a sticky mess on the face shield that will block your view. The coating seems to deteriorate with use--maybe from the moisture from breathing and condensation during freefall. I've had to replace the face shield a couple of times.

I still think it's a great helmet, though.

One other thing--the Pro Track factory mount fits in a recessed slot it the helmet, which is great for protecting it, but it also makes it kind of awkward to remove the Pro Track to change batteries or whatever. Also, I put 2 rubber bands around the Pro Track and the mounting bracket to keep it from popping out during freefall. This is probably unnecessary, but it satisfies my paranoia.

Thank you all for responding. I hope that many more people keep responding.

There is a white medium Oxygen in stock at my home DZ's gear store, but I am thinking of ordering a black one or calling to see if a nearby gear store has a black one in stock. My new Bev suit is mostly black with Columbia blue accents and a touch of white (front yoke).

I was wondering if anyone else thinks of Storm Troopers (Star Wars) when they see the white full-faced helmets, like I do. I just cannot shake that mental image!

I was wondering if anyone else thinks of Storm Troopers (Star Wars) when they see the white full-faced helmets, like I do. I just cannot shake that mental image!

Stormtroopers ? Hehehe..
Have you been thinking about CrazyIvan.. again ?

I bought an Oxygn 2-3 years ago, and I really like it. The audible is very easy to hear, and I don't feel like there was any loss of vision. I've never had the visor pop open accidentally. I thought I'd want to flip it open under canopy, but I've never done it.

I emailed their customer service with a question after I had the helmet, and they were very quick to respond, and extremely helpful.

The bottom line is I have nothing but good things to say about them.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

I've been jumping my oxygen for quite some time now, and I like it a lot, even after a very shacky start. My first jump was in winter time in the mid-west, so pretty cold and humid as well. I was told to breath out through the mouth, but didn't do that well enough... Result was that after 10 seconds or so, I had about a quarter of a square inch to see through, not quite what you want if you're in the sky for a hoop dive with 10 others. The problem was that the visor started to fog up, and froze because of the cold. Since then, I concentrate on breathing out via my mouth, through the hole, as soon as I put on my helmet (becomes 2nd nature very quickly).
I also close my visor after the door is opened. This solved the problem, even in wintertime, while it was freezing (quite a bit).

Another problem I encountered was that the visor started to loosen after say 10 jumps (I didn't do anything with the closing mechanism). A couple of jumps later, the visor opened while I was tracking away form a formation. Luckily, it didn't break. Afterwards, I opened the closing mechanism, and reinstalled it (properly!), and I didn't have this problem again.

Now that the above problems are solved, I'm very happy with my Oxygen A3, it fits perfectly! The reason I bought it in the first place is that no other full face helmet I tried fitted properly over my glasses.

Hopefully, this info is helpfull, and doens't scare you off to much.
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

I personally own a Z1, so please keep in mind that this is the only helmet i have first hand experience in. However, Many experienced jumpers at our DZ have moved away from the Z1 or Oxygen and moved to the simple design of the standard FactoryDiver. No moving parts, simple to operate, and maintenance free! Might even make it even more so "freefly" friendly than Oxygen or Z1 - plus you can use the $ you would save for a custom helmet paint job to match your rig or jumpsuit.

From my POV, I am disappointed in the Z1. I paid close to $225 for mine brand new, and I don't feel that the craftmanship of the helmet justified the price. First, the inside padding is not held into place securly enough to prevent movement - even with a tight fit such as mine. The face shield is held on with a tackey substance, which was designed to be replaced easily and often. This has caused me a grievence because the replacement lenses cost around $30 after S&H. I am always concerned with the lense comming off in freefall.
Furthermore, I spend a lot of time on the ground checking my gear, ensuring it will bring me back to earth safely and without incident. I do not want, nor do i have time, to give myself a "helmet check" on every jump.

If i could go back in time, i would not have bought a Z1, i would have gone with an Old-school Factory Diver.

my .02
=========Shaun ==========

That's funny, I actually used my white Z1 as part of my Halloween costume at one of our club's parties a few years ago. What was I............ why a Storm Trooper, of course.

Not sure how long I have had my Z1, I think it's been almost 5 years. I had it open once in freefall. I just over a year ago put new screws on that hold the visor in place. I got them at the gear store in Sebastian for free. They said they get them from the manufacture to give to the customers. Good customer service. I also like my lens better than the Oxygen. I have friends that have the Oxygen, and always have trouble with the lens gumming up. I am surprised that they don't give an option for a normal lens. I almost never have trouble with mine fogging up. Only on very cold days, and never the whole thing.

Blue Skies,
Wags

I have an OXYGN and a Z1. I hardly wear the Z1 any more, the OXYGN just feels better somehow, and I prefer its method of fastening.

Are you sure you want the outside mount for the audible? I know it's trendy and cool, but there are lots of folks that have had outside mounted audibles knocked off and lost.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are you sure you want the outside mount for the audible? I know it's trendy and cool

I don't care about what looks trendy or cool. I am more concerned with the helmet's function and usefulness. I didn't think that there was a way of getting the audibles on the inside of the Oxygen. I though that it only came with the outside mounting option. I am quite scared of losing it this way, and I was wondering what to do. Please tell me more.

Only the Oxygn A3 has outside mounting for the audible, the Oxygns do not.

If you do get antsy about the audible falling off though. Just put a standard rubber band through the keeper when your mounting it (the keeper) on the helmet.

Personally the only problem i've had with the A3 is shutting the visor. Sometimes it can jam up the sides not allowing you to close it.

Personally again, I like the A3 over all the other full face helmets because it looks the sharpest (to me).

J.Neas

Are you sure you want the outside mount for the audible? I know it's trendy and cool

I don't care about what looks trendy or cool. I am more concerned with the helmet's function and usefulness. I didn't think that there was a way of getting the audibles on the inside of the Oxygen. I though that it only came with the outside mounting option. I am quite scared of losing it this way, and I was wondering what to do. Please tell me more.

On the standard OXYGN there's a pocket in the liner. The A3 has the external mount.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, I have tried on Oxygens, Z1's, Boneheads and a couple of used Factory Divers. I finally decided to buy an ugly, used, chipped Factory Diver, which needs a new visor. This will be a temporary helmet purely for function as it was the best fit by far, and it is not a huge loss financially if I decide that I hate the feel of a full-face. If I love wearing it and it still fits well in free-fall, then I can get a new one later. Thank you all! :)