Deisel

Skydive and SCUBA witrh the same camera?

Any thoughts on using the same camera for both activities? It's quite possible to to build a waterproof dive housing to fit jump cameras. But like with so mony other things - just because we can doesn't mean we should. Opinions?
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Some issues there -

1) You'd have to vent the casing to allow pressure to equalize. While most watertight housings can resist external pressure, they often have trouble resisting internal pressure.

2) Condensation will be an issue unless you use a dessicant. (Warm humid air on the ground condensed out when taken to colder altitudes.)

3) Housings generally limit the lenses you can use, and you'll want some freedom there.

4) Housings are heavy and that's hard on your neck.

Depending on your camera, there are not too many options when it comes to serious waterproof cases. The ones that are available are in the price range that makes it unrealistic to buy unless you are doing it professionally. Depending on how deep you are going, the Go Pro would be your best and most economical bet. There is an aftermarket website that sells watertight cases for the Go Pro that are used by the Discovery channel for their shark and crab shows. The name eludes me at the moment but I've posted it here before in the past. If I get back to a desk top I'll edit this post with the link. In the mean time, a search might help you find it.

EDIT: www.eyeofmine.com
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

*Update*
I ended up taking a GoPro diving. Submerged for about 90 minutes. Max depth was 110' shooting video. 2 days later I took the same camera to altitude a couple of times. All done using the standard case that the camera comes out of the box with.
Worked like a champ through low vis at depth and misting fog under canopy.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I use the same Sony CX105 for skydiving (in Dbox) and (free)diving (modified Hi8 housing).

Old underwater housings for clunky videocameras from back in the days, often easily fit todays more modern/small consumer cameras. You can somertimes but these older underwater housings at bargain prices..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I stil have one or two of those housings, used them for swoop competitions.

Might be this one, but am too lazy to go walk 7 flights of stairs to go check :P

With a lanc-to-halfmoon converter these should work like a charm for the CX series cameras.

ciel bleu,
Saskia