BlindBrick

Charging for Youtube Uploads

We're looking at adding YouTube uploads at our dz. There is no telecom infrastructure at the dz, so we'd need to invest in a cellular modem and service plan. Given that it's value added service that costs us both time and money, we're looking at it as an upsell rather than free service.

We're curious of what others were charging for this service.

We are also curious about what size of videos you're uploading to Youtube. Given that we'd be using a cellular modem with limited bandwidth ($10 per gig), we're looking at reducign the fiel size since are normal vids are clockign in jsut udner 300 megs. Been experimenting with a custom render template that gets the file size under 50 megs, but it's only at 320x240 rez with 64K audio.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Why not just take the uploads off DZ and do an upload on Monday from the video editors house over broadband? Save on the money and bandwidth can be unlimited. You'd just need a portable drive to take back and forth.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Why not just take the uploads off DZ and do an upload on Monday from the video editors house over broadband? Save on the money and bandwidth can be unlimited. You'd just need a portable drive to take back and forth.

We were figuring on taking advantage of peoples' desire for instant gratification. Last weekend we had people so eager to get thier stuff up on social media sites that they were literally taking pictures of thier stills displayed on our computer monitors.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

we were charging 10.00 per, and another 10 to transfer to iPhone/personal device for the "instant gratification" factor.
We've been using the YouTube option as a leader, and it *has* made a difference in video sales.
In other words...YouTube is at least temporarily free with video package purchase.

I'd recommend not using the "social media" term, and stick with either YouTube, Vimeo, or Viddler. These links can be embedded in your webpage and they can embed them in their own FB/Social pages.
If you attempt to upload to their sites, you're dealing with passwords, etc, and more than that...it can quickly create a backlog.

That said, "sneakernet" is the fastest upload if you don't have a fast connection at the DZ. Consider the cost of the cell network and the cost of having to sneakernet later the evening of the same day? Most customers are fine with waiting a few hours, I think... Ours batch upload once the machines are not being used for editing.

Try realxstream.

It uploads the vid automatically as soon as it is edited also automatically by the software. all you have to do is tick a box.

It is hosted on the RXT server and you can make it look as though it is your own website hosting it with an embed code thay supply complete with counters etc etc...

This way your website gets the traffic and the friends of the perople that get the video are already in your website to bring you more business.

Royalty free, skydive themed music is also offered with the software.

conatact [email protected] for further information.

We offer it as a free option on all videos at our DZ.

No matter what 'anybody' says, nothing is faster or easier than realxstream for editing tandem videos and uploading to the net.

Try realxstream.

It uploads the vid automatically as soon as it is edited also automatically by the software. all you have to do is tick a box.

Did you read the post? They want to know if they should get cell service to upload the videos, not how to do it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

We're curious of what others were charging for this service.

Just throwing the options out there...

You tube hits do nothing for your own SEO, better to have the people clicking on your own website...

Instead of youtube, go for Vimeo.

Upload a low-quality (SD) clip directly after the jump (small filesize) and later replace the clip (something which Vimeo allows, youtube doesnt) with the high-res version.

It also allows the costumer to embed the video etc, download the source file (if you want them to be able to) etc.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

We batch render our videos with WinFF to an MP4 format for upload to a proprietary storage (we decided we were gonna host our own to have things purely on our site).

You can tweak things quite a bit to get the size where you want it though. We are creating a 512x384 video with a target bitrate of 512K in a x264 codec that runs about 30MB for a 9 minute video. Youtube / etc will take a direct x264/MP4 and it will save you quite a bit over uploading a pure MPG file.

Uploading over a cell modem is gonna suck quite a bit. I am surprised that you can get cellular data services in any sort of speed that would be workable but not a straight broadband option. Kinda crazy. I agree with mccordia about using vimeo and replacing later if you have a desire for things to be higher quality.

One of the things to remember is that a lot of people are gonna see these things and it will drive your sales up or down depending on if people think the quality is good or not.

I actually have plans to increase the quality of what we are offering. I would like to be able to put the videos on our website in HD, just have some things to figure out before that can happen.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'm in an unusual situation I believe. I'm not the dzp/dzm, I'm just a guy who saw a bottleneck in the tandem flow and added a thrd party NLE service to address it. As such I'm not interested in throwing away the several thousands of dollars in gear/software/music to pay a third party to do my job.

Also because I'm not the dzo, I can't get dsl (hangar is not in my name and dzo isn't interested) and cable is not an option where we are.

I was looking at the cellular because the jumpers at the dz who use them are getting dsl level speeds and and the cellualr modem would give us more revenue potential when we take our gear to boogies.

-Blind

If you can get unlimited cellular, and it's genuinely DSL fast....and it's not superscary for the budget...there isn't really a downside.
I can't get non-packetized uploads on my cell, and I have a 5GB upload with an unlimited download, but it's spendy as hell. (over 200.00 a month)

Also because I'm not the dzo, I can't get dsl (hangar is not in my name and dzo isn't interested) and cable is not an option where we are.

Hah, someone is being a bit short sighted.... Good on you for taking the initiative... Hope you're making as much money off this as the DZO.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

http://www.sharemezone.com We upload all videos to our site free of charge as part of their video package, customers can instantly link their video to Facebook. Other social links will be available soon. Great response from it so far.

I've really got no desire, at this time, to begin doing value added services for free as I can't justify it from a marketing standpoint because the dz is currently running tandems at capacity with no plans for adding additional capacity in the forseeable future.

-Blind